Some thoughts:

The stress that can be associated with many individuals in everyday life can often become too overwhelming. It is important to maintain both physical and mental health throughout one’s studies or work, and music can help to do this. Taking time to sit down and find pieces that seem to wash away all worries can really benefit the state of one’s health. Whether it is through the lyrics or through the instrumentals, there is something that can be found for every individual.

Music Suggestion of The Week: The Neighbourhood

In 2011, the band “The Neighbourhood” formed in a town known as Newbury Park, California consisting of band members Jesse Rutherford, Jeremy Freedman, Zach Abels, Mikey Margott, and Brandon Alexander Fried. You’re probably wondering why this band took on the English spelling of the word “neighborhood” if they’re from California, United States of America. This was to establish themselves against a band already working under the name “The Neighborhood”. These five band members have received much success under this name with their alternative sound.

Their first studio album, I Love You, was released in 2013 containing hit singles like “Sweater Weather” and “Female Robbery”. Both of which allowed the album to debut at thirty-nine on the Billboard 200 albums chart. This album was described by Rolling Stone as both “moody” and “atmospheric”, and engaged an audience that would allow them to tour alongside popular bands such as Imagine Dragons and The 1975.

The Neighbourhood released their second studio album, Wiped Out!, in 2015 with hit singles such as “The Beach” and “Prey” alongside nine other tracks that rose to fame upon the release of the album. You have probably heard songs like “Daddy Issues” and “R.I.P. 2 My Youth”. Their tour to promote this album embarked in May and June of 2016. It is reported that a new studio album will be making its way to the forefront soon.

Take a listen here:

The Neighbourhood’s sound is sure to make one feel a variety of emotions through the band’s topic choices, diction, and use of instrumentals to evoke feelings which is why I admire this band. Whether I’m having a good or bad day, their music is so versatile that it does not really matter when or where I listen to them- although their sound heavily reminds me of wintertime.

This band has been seen performing on late night television such as Jimmy Kimmel Live and music festivals such as Coachella. Their success has been dependent on their unique sound and approach to the industry, and this has ultimately worked in their favor more times than not. The Neighbourhood continues to receive success through their usage of social media platforms to promote their work.

Here is one of my favorite songs off of the album I Love You:

Here is one of my favorite songs off of the album Wiped Out!:

Have you noticed that their brand is black and white? I believe this adds to the effect they are searching to convey to their audience because it certainly adds a “moody” and “atmospheric” sense to their name.

If you find that you like this band, you can also enjoy songs released through multiple mixtapes over the years including ones featuring popular artists such as French Montana and G-Eazy.

One thought on “The Neighborhood

1. Emma,
    This is a really cool blog. First off I’d like to say that I totally agree with you that music can be helpful to your mental health. I often use music to help me relax or put me in a better place. Also, I like the Neighbourhood and have a few songs actually. I like Sweater Weather, Daddy Issues, and Afraid. They’re an interesting band, they’re vibe is kinda different. This is a really cool blog, Emma. I like this a lot.

Roan