Some thoughts:

Although the new year has brought the return of many of my favorite artists, it will not be bringing back one of my biggest inspirations in the music industry. Kurt Cobain, the lead singer of the grunge band that sparked a new era, unfortunately committed suicide at the young age of twenty-seven, leaving behind the three things that loved him most: his wife, his daughter, and the music. I’d like to take this time and encourage you to reach out to someone or call 1-800-273-8255 (United States Suicide Prevention Hotline) if you or someone you love is having suicidal thoughts. Suicide is not the answer. You are important.

On a brighter note, Arctic Monkeys and The 1975 will be making a return to the industry this year with new albums and upcoming festival appearances. Want to hear more about The 1975? Check my second blog post! Want to hear more about Arctic Monkeys? Stay tuned until next week.

Music Suggestion of the Week: Nirvana

I was alive for a brief period of time within the 90’s, but it was not to the same extent of the many millennials whose childhood was based in that decade. I somehow find myself attracted to everything that defined this decade from the grunge era to the classic cult movie “Clueless”.

Nirvana was comprised of Kurt Cobain (lead singer), Dave Grohl (drums), and Krist Novoselic (bass guitar) and was formed in 1987 (the original group only consisted of Cobain and Novoselic). Nirvana, the frontmen of the Seattle grunge scene, inspired a generation and would become to be known as the “flagship band” of Generation X. From their blatant activism to their careless attitude towards those individuals who refused to join the fight, Nirvana became to be regarded as one of the most influential and important alternative bands in the history of music. It has been more than twenty years since the death of Kurt Cobain, and he is still deemed as one of the most influential artists by millions.

The alternative rock band only produced three full studio albums throughout the course of their seven years spent together, but this did not put them at a disadvantage. They have also earned an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014 in its first year eligible for induction and is one of the best-selling bands of all time from their millions of sales.

Take a listen:

Here’s my favorite:

And another that you’d probably know or recognize from constant references in the media:

I had discovered Nirvana in the beginning of my high school career as I began falling deeper and deeper into the many alternative options available to me throughout my music streaming services and instantly became attracted to not only their sound but their message. This ultimately led me to explore what exactly their message was and what they were trying to achieve by projecting it to the masses. Social issues and mental health crises were identified in many of their greatest hits, and the promotion of inclusion ultimately prevailed through not only their music but their everyday lives. As I sat and watched an hour or so long documentary about Kurt Cobain, I found that I could relate on many of his stances and actions. This would eventually lead me to idolize Cobain.

I encourage you to delve deeper into the bands that you never once thought you’d take a listen to and jot down on a scratch piece of paper how many times you felt that you could relate to the artist(s). You’ll find that the more you listen to this band, the more you’ll understand. What are you waiting for?