Lesson 11

Mobile Learning and Math Education

In the beginning, I was planning to write a blog post about adult numeracy and mobile learning. However, I could not find substantial study on this topic. Then, I decided to look at literature on using mobile learning for math education. I think, especially, from k-1 to k-5, topic of adult math literacy and school topics overlap a lot. That is why, gaining an insight about using mobile learning in schools for math education gives a general idea about development of math literacy, too.

Mathematics is a fearsome subject for some students. Mobile learning can facilitate learning mathematics. In the study of “Learning Mathematics in an Authentic Mobile Environment: The Perceptions of Students”, Baya’a and Saher (2009) state that students thinks that mobile learning enables exploring mathematics independently, learning mathematics, through collaboration and team work, learning mathematics in a social environment, learning mathematics in authentic real life situations, visualizing mathematics and investigating it dynamically, carrying out diversified mathematical actions using new and advanced technologies, learning mathematics easily and efficiently. Another study done by Franklin and Peng (2009) states that student can present difficult concepts in a visual format and then discuss them with friends thorough mobile learning. I think, making math easier to understand is great achievement and mobile learning offers a great help for this achievement.

For the learning mathematics, mobile learning offered a new experience for students. Baya’a and Saher (2009) state that the students valued the fact that they explored mathematics and did not learn it only from the teacher. Representing mathematics visually and dynamically by using mobile tools helps the learner to feel the dependencies between the mathematical phenomenon parameters or relations (Baya’a & Saher, 2009). On the other hand, as educators, we need to be careful about what students understand from the activity. For example, students participated study of Franklin and Peng (2009) expressed that the activity was about both learning the app and the mathematical concept. As we here in this example, activity may not be in the direction of what we aimed.

Learning how to use the app

One of the common points of studies that are done on this issue is that they teach students how to use the app. Franklin and Peng chooses their participants based on past work with Palm technology by the two math educators and the researcher (2009). Kiger et. al (2012) introduced an application a day for students to learn and use. In addition, effective implementation of mobile learning depends on administrative and school commitments and adequately trained teachers on pedagogy, integration of instructional technologies, mobile device operations and classroom management / facilitation (Kiger et al, 2012).

I think, learning how to use an application has long terms effects. If a student can learn how to use the app deeply, it helps them to use it in informal settings. Kiger et. al (2012) emphasize this point and state that teacher can facilitate a student’s out-of-school use of mobile devices. As a result, facilitator person plays a serious role in mobile learning especially in the early steps.

Franklin, T., & Peng, L. W. (2008). Mobile math: Math educators and students engage in mobile learning. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 20(2), 69-80.

Kiger, D., Herro, D., & Prunty, D. (2012). Examining the influence of a mobile learning intervention on third grade math achievement. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(1), 61-82.

Baya’a, N. F., & Daher, W. M. (2009). Learning mathematics in an authentic mobile environment: the Perceptions of Students. International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), 3, 6-14.

3 thoughts on “Lesson 11”

1. One of the biggest points you hit on here was the ability to explore. While I understand and agree with your points and those made by the research authors, I think at times it is good to explore areas that may not pertain to the topic at hand if teachers can use those opportunities to teach learners how to analyze if the subject is appropriate and on topic. Teaching learners how to analyze and discern if a self-initiated digression is of interest to the topic at hand. Your point that learning an app assists in deeper learning and learning how to use in informal settings is an excellent point that reinforces my thought that students need to learn how to use technology and what is appropriate during that use. The role of the teacher/instructor/facilitator is one that can be overlooked when discussing the importance of learner-centric activities – especially when teaching learners how to properly explore.

2. Hi Enes,

I appreciate your points about visual stimuli as conducers toward mathematical learning. It reminds me of the teaching goal of taking material that students have not yet formally learned and being able to relate it in ways that students do already comprehend, so that they can reach new understanding and incorporate their own experiences and perspectives into future interactions with similar material. Indeed, teachers need to possess levels of enthusiasm and understanding that are adequate enough to foster such learning. It is true that this concept applies to the mobile technologies we use and incorporate into our own lesson plans.

I am grateful that mobile technologies provide engaging ways for students to learn and apply 21st century skills in formal and informal settings. The ‘When are we going to use this in our lives outside of this setting?’ question that students sometimes ask, in response to being disengaged with course material and stimuli, is effectively answered when technological tools that students are known to embrace (e.g. phone apps that they enjoy using) are validly and reliably implemented into course lesson plans.

I wonder how we might be able to predict what sorts of formal and informal settings students will incorporate what they learn into. This would vary by device, app, and academic subject, but it seems like an intriguing question for future research.

3. Hi Enes! I agree with the importance of teaching how to use mobile devices to students, because it may be directly related to their digital literacy which would be the important part of the 21st century. But I also think that teaching how to use technologies may be different from putting effort to teach students after designing an out-of-focus activity with technologies like you mentioned in the example of Franklin and Peng’s study. Have you thought of this too, and if yes, what would be the role of math teacher making a balance between teaching how to learn math with technology and teaching math? Thank you!