Pathos on the television

When I think of an example of pathos I automatically think of the Sarah McLachlan video for the SPCA. To me this video is the perfect example a pathetic appeal. There are constant images of abused animals panning across the screen. All the while they are accompanied by Sarah McLachlan’s song “Angel”, which is a soft, slow, and sad sounding song. These images often are able to hit home with most people, assuming that they have a pet of their own. And just in general no one likes to see animals get hurt. This commercial has been on the TV for a couple of years now and many others that are similar have followed suit, such as the one with Willie Nelson.  Clearly, both the music and the images are used in order to make people feel back for abused animals and then go forward to donate money to the SPCA. Or it could also push them to adopt animals from the shelters as well. Another example of pathos that I have seen around is an US Army recruiting commercial. It begins by pictures of soldiers marching, climbing, and training. It also shows images of helicopters landing and soldiers in action. All of these images could go on the persuade someone to become extremely interested in joining the Army.  The music also could evoke emotions out the audience. So in all, both of these commercials have strongly charged images and music that have the ability to persuade their audience to do what they want them to do.