Pumpkin Masterpiece

Given the fact that it is Halloween I felt that this craft fits wonderfully with the holiday. I had never carved a pumpkin before and when I told this to my friends they thought I was crazy. Their first response was to go and get a huge pumpkin and then we proceeded to carve it. We first bought one of the carving kits from McLanahan’s that was Penn State themed. Our initial goal was to mimic our Penn State Silks shirts, but let’s be honest that didn’t work out. So first we had to clean out the pumpkin. My friends started to do it as I patiently observed. But then they saw me being lazy and handed me the scoop. I wasn’t too happy. I thought it was going to be gross, but it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. I mean don’t get me wrong all of the guts were disgusting, but there was something about scraping it down to the edge that was really fun. After we had finally cleaned out all of the guts came tracing the design onto the pumpkin. We had a really thin sharpie with us to try and get it to work. But that was a failure. We resorted to stabbing the design with the carving knife and making a sort of connect-the-dots type thing. We each took turns doing a certain part of it because after a while it got tiring of jabbing the knife into the pumpkin. We had finally finished with that and we decided to take a break and enjoy some apple donuts and apple cider. I highly recommend doing so. And finally came the actual carving of the pumpkin. We again took turns going through and cutting sections out. I had to step out to talk to my mom for a bit and when I came back the carving knife had been broken. So in all I’d definitely recommend doing this if you haven’t before. Also get a better and sturdier knife. This cheap one probably cost all of three cents to be mass produced and could bend whatever way your heart desired.  And lastly surround yourself with some good company and great food. It’s relatively easy and not as gross as everyone makes it out to be. If you do it (even though Halloween is technically over) have fun. And Happy Halloween! 🙂

2 responses to “Pumpkin Masterpiece