The power of music and politics!

I believe in the power of music. It can be used in anyway and can just as easily be used to convey a message or even a feeling. Music has been around of an extremely long time. Personally it is one of the main reasons that I am so in love with “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “The Hobbit”. Howard Shore is able to use his music skills to make scenes even more impacting. There is one scene in The Fellowship of the Ring, where the 9 members of the fellowship are headed on their journey to Mordor to destroy the ring. The scene starts as a pan of the land, and then zooms up close to go over each of the individual characters. At the same time the main musical theme comes through, extremely loud and full of brass sound. Personally it gives me goose bumps. And this is the case for many people, maybe not with Howard Shore’s music. I know for my mother that she enjoys hearing Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata on the piano, while my dad loves anything  Pink Floyd or classic rock. The artists are able to convey a message, be it through lyrics, or the simple chord progression of the music. In today’s world music is unavoidable, and very seldom do you find people who don’t enjoy music! Therefore, I believe that music has a power that many things do not. It is an international thing that is shared and touches people in various ways.

For my Civic Issues blog this semester I am definitely thinking about politics. For a long time now I have been extremely interested in politics, so much so that political science is my major. So for me, the politics group is the best choice because I am so interested in it. Even though the election season is over, there are still plenty of things going on that are relevant to politics. What I’ve noticed a lot about recently is the government’s handling of the aid to people affected by Hurricane Sandy. So it doesn’t have to be an election time period, because politics is constantly going on and legislature is always being debated. So I think that focusing on a political blog for this semester would be good for me, because I’m not only interested in it, but it will also keep me updated on current events that are pertinent to my choice of major.