Scooby Doo: 1969 vs now

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a Scooby Doo fanatic. It’s actually kind of sad. Putting that aside though, this week I decided to focus on the differences between the original Scooby Doo shows that began in 1969 compared to Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated that was released in 2010. Now since I grew up watching the original series, I’m going to say upfront that I am definitely biased.

This is me and Iwao Takemoto, who was a producer for Scooby Doo. And probably one of the highlights of my life. :)

This is me and Iwao Takemoto, who was a producer for Scooby Doo. And probably one of the highlights of my life. 🙂

Regarding the plot lines, the two shows are pretty similar. You’ve got your typical crime followed by a search for whoever did it. The newer show though added more to the backgrounds of the characters. They all have parents who don’t approve of their crime solving tendencies. I saw a commercial for it the other day and was just blown away. I got used to the idea that the kids had parents, but they just weren’t in the picture. It’s different to see them interact with their parents.

I guess my biggest problem with the series is the animation. It’s just weird. Now, the original had no A+ in the animation category, but the new series just looks weird. I also feel like the animators are going for a more retro approach. It just rubs me the wrong way. But like I said, I am extremely biased because I am in love with the original. I just don’t like that they completely changed how the characters interact or look. In the new series it actually goes into the relationship between Fred and Daphne and apparently they got engaged. Whereas, in the original you knew they were into each other but that was it, there was no onscreen romance. Another thing changed was Scooby’s role. I noticed that in the new series he talks much more than he has in any other series before this. One other thing that really got me was that they changed the name of their town. It was originally Coolsville and now it is Crystal Cove, you just can’t do that! Haha! On a positive note, the new series does keep Frank Welker as the voice for Fred (who was also the original voice of Fred and has been ever since) and he also has taken over Don Messick’s role as Scooby Doo. And Matthew Lillard, who voiced Shaggy in the live action film, has become the voice for him now in the animated show, which I think was a good choice because he sounds what someone would imagine Shaggy to sound like.

Overall, the moral of this blog is I don’t do well with change, especially to something as awesome as Scooby Doo, Where Are You? If I were a kid growing up with the new Scooby Doo I’d probably love it just as much as I did the original. So, if you’ve got some free time head on over to Cartoon Network of Boomerang and give each of these shows a watch. When it’s all said and done you really can’t go wrong with Scooby Doo. 😀

PS I just watched a clip, and apparently Shaggy and Velma are having some sort of secret relationship! Again, it just bothers me. I guess it’s a good thing, but now that’s making Scooby the awkward third wheel and they should definitely bring him in a friend, or even reintroduce Scrappy Doo! Sorry I’m just looking for clips and found this one! The second link is a full episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBKiLqkXDXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZq8s-XCRU

Also here is a classic clip from the original!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ZzdS7JF3c

5 responses to “Scooby Doo: 1969 vs now