Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián

Puerto Rico ends the Christmas season with “Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián”, a huge, four-day festival located in Old San Juan. The festivities start on a Thursday with a mass honoring Saint Sebastian. From Friday through Sunday, there are a series of activities going on such as parades with cultural Puerto Rican characters, live music, art markets, food markets, and stages with popular music groups. On Saturday and Sunday, there are parades with typcal music dancers that lift up the spirits of the Puerto Ricans roaming the streets. During the nights, there is live music and all the bars and restaurants open their doors for the thousands of people.

sanse130110

“Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián” started out as a fundraising event made by father Juan Manuel Madrazo, the perish priest of the San Juan Cathedral. He believed that making an entertaining festival would attract more people to donate to restore San Sebastian Street and the Cathedral.

fiestas-de-la-calle-san-sebastian-2015

I enjoy this festival a lot because it is a fun, cultural experience during the day; and an awesome party at night. I think it rounds up all age groups and offers great activities for everyone.

20140119_rc_sanse_lado100

3 thoughts on “Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián

1. Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastian seems like a very exciting time of the year in Puerto Rico! It seems to be extremely enjoyable as everybody celebrates with music, festivities, great food, and all around fun! Thank you for sharing this Puerto Rico tradition! It is something I am now interested in learning more about and previously I was not aware of.

2. This sounds like a lot of fun. Not to say that the US’s parades and celebrations aren’t but there is something about these types of celebrations that makes them uniquely attractive. I’d love to experience them for myself.