Blog Post 8

I agree with the points presented in this post: there are a lot of good rules for implementing visuals and typing into your report. There are 5 main points made for visuals in your report.

First, the post mentioned labeling, titling, and numbering every graphic. It might seem simple, but it was an important reminder that the simple techniques are what matters, and they make all the difference in the end.

Second, it mentioned placing graphics in the right spot. I agree that this is important because if the graphic is not in the right spot, the reader can easily get confused. I make this mistake in my reports sometimes; this post has helped me pay more attention to it in the future.

Third, it mentioned to introduce and explain each graph. This makes sense because the reader needs to understand what they are looking at before they look and try to analyze the graphics.

Fourth, the post emphasized to document your graphics to help the audience understand the importance and why it was placed where it was placed.

Fifth, it explained the importance of making your graphic stand out. There are many graphics being used throughout a report so it is important to make sure each are identified. You don’t want the audience to miss a graphic that might be really important for the purpose of your report.

Sixth, it touched on making it easy to find the graphics. I believe it is important to make your graphics all easy to find so your reader can understand your report better and have all the necessary information to know what is going on and find the main points the writer is trying to emphasize.

I also took a lot away from the 10 points on typing your reports. I didn’t know which fonts you used were that important in your writing. In the future I look forward to implementing these strategies with typing by using rules such as using different weights of fonts in the same family and making sure to avoid fonts such as comic sans and papyrus .

Blog Post 7

I agreed on all the points discussed in the post “How to Write for The Internet”. When reading online, I can relate to the idea of skimming in a kind of “F” shaped pattern. How the post is written and designed determines how much of it I actually read.

The post really emphasizes the importance of appearance and from this reading I have learn to focus on making the big points first, avoiding long paragraphs, and avoiding formal text. As stated in the article, it is important to make your main points and ideas first. As a reader myself, I don’t want to go searching to find information. If I can easily access the information and clearly understand what the writer is trying to convey right form the jump, I will be more likely to read most of it, if not, all of the article or post.

Long paragraphs can sometimes be a pain to read; I agree with the writer of this post on this topic as well because I need to emphasize smaller and more detailed paragraphs so I can appeal to my audience. When trying to keep the reader engaged, the post as mentioned the use of informal text. When using informal text I feel that the reader is able to connect further with the writer and this is another great way to keep the reader engaged.

I never quite understood how long a paragraph should be for a post on the internet, but the post has given me some perspective: 25-35 words should do it.  I never knew such a short paragraph could be so effective in one’s writing. As the post stated, most use the internet for work and other purposes and that will cause paragraphs to become longer as time goes on; however, short paragraphs are still recommended to catch the reader’s attention.

Using headings, bolds, links, and bullets really stuck with me as well, in addition to being visual as well. I agree with the post as I believe these techniques help engage the reader as well and help also catch their attention from the beginning. If I read something that was short, visual, and very well organized, I would be more inclined to read it and understand what the main points of the post were. Overall, these techniques were helpful to me and I look forward to using them to improve my internet writing skills moving forward.

Blog Post 6

The post “Interview Follow-Up Messages: Best Practices” was an important read for me because it was relatable to my experiences right now. This week I have my first job interview ever and I’m very nervous. I’ve been asking people for tips and potential questions to ask during the interviews. This post is exactly what I needed to help me succeed in my interview.

Because it is my first interview, I am worried I may make a mistake. Thankfully, the first topic the post talks about is what to do in case you make a mistake. It helped me realize that mistakes happen all the time and I’m not alone.  The post emphasized the importance of sending a follow up message or email and touched on the fact that the email is a perfect time to correct any mistakes that were made in a polite manner. Thanks to this reading, I will be prepared if I do end up making a mistake on my first interview, which I know can be common.

I didn’t know how early to send a follow up email and the reading now gives me an estimated time range on when to do so. I will make sure I send a follow up email within 48 hours of my interview to make a good first positive impression.

I thought normally follow up emails are just a simple thank you, but this post taught me that it is important to expand on a topic discussed during the interview as well, in addition to the thank you. There are no guarantees when following up on an interview, but it’s always worth a try to make a good impression, according to the post.

The post caught my attention when it mentioned the positives of mailing a handwritten note, instead of an email. The reading mentioned that if an employer gets a mailed letter, they have it forever, rather than it just being another email in their inbox. This was interesting because I figured that nobody used handwritten letters anymore, but now I’m aware that some people still use it. It may be something for me to consider in the future as I continue my interviews and job search.

This post has really helped me gain another perspective with interviews and writing afterwards. I look forward to using these tips in my interview coming up at the end of this week.