Biphasic Reactions: The Scariest Experience of My Life

My 15th Birthday

I woke up on the morning of my 15th birthday ready to spend a fun day with my best friend. Although we didn’t have anything that resembled a plan for the day, I was eager to spend the day doing activities together. Her mom picked me up in the morning. First stop: nail salon. I was never one to get my nails done (and I still do not prefer getting my nails done today), but my birthday was special. I still recall the shade of teal I chose for my gel nails; ironically, teal is the color of food allergy awareness.

Our stomachs were rumbling for lunch by the time the nail techs finished curing both sets of our nails. Having known me since I was little, my friend’s mother suggested that we go to a local cafe/restaurant with vegan options on the menu. Not wanting to refuse the offer, I hesitantly agreed.

We arrived at the restaurant, I informed the server of my allergies, and I chose a simple seitan dish as my meal. In all honesty I don’t recall details about the food further than that, even though that dish was the cause of my first and only biphasic allergic reaction.

While eating my meal, I thought that I sensed an itching sensation, the sensation that comes with a mild allergic reaction. I set my fork down, but did I say anything to my friend or her mom? No. The last thing I wanted was for them to feel bad for taking me to a place that gave me a reaction on my birthday. I thought to myself, “The itching is mild enough that it might go away on its own if I wait it out.” Well, I was right in one way. The itching did dissipate as they drove me home. What followed an hour later was far worse than I could have imagined.

Biphasic Reaction

A biphasic reaction is “the recurrence of anaphylactic symptoms within 72 hours of the initial anaphylactic event, without re-exposure to the trigger.” To put it in plain terms, you get two separate reactions after eating an allergen once. These types of reactions are very rare and poorly understood. I was not even aware that this type of anaphylactic reaction could occur until it happened to me.

PDF] Diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis. | Semantic ScholarAlthough information you find online tells you that the first reaction tends to be equally or more severe than the second, my second reaction was more severe than the first. I had been home for nearly an hour, and felt as though I was suddenly catching a cold. My birthday is during the beginning of August. I thought it was strange to be getting sick in the middle of summer. I was sneezing, my eyes were watering, and my voice started getting hoarse. I really did not think much of it until my mother arrived home to cook my birthday dinner, took one look at me, and exclaimed in fright upon seeing me. My face had blown up like a balloon. Two epipens and an ambulance ride later, I ended up in the hospital for two days.

. . .

I was very near death that day. I will never forget it. Now I am beyond cautious when I choose to eat out. I make sure my opinions on my safety are voiced. I say no to “finding somewhere we can all eat” because, truthfully, there are not many places where I can do so safely. We sent my birthday leftovers to a food testing lab in Nebraska. There was such a tiny amount of milk in the food, even I was surprised by the scale of my reaction.

Biphasic reactions are not talked about nearly as often as they should be in the food allergy community. I hope that more people can be aware of this reaction, because knowing what to do in a situation like mine could mean the difference between life and death for a food allergic individual like myself.

3 thoughts on “Biphasic Reactions: The Scariest Experience of My Life

1. I’m so glad you decided to choose a topic that relates to your own life so much. Spreading your personal experiences can help others when they face their own adversity or open their eyes to what people have to face everyday like what you did to me. Overall, I though your writing was great and though I’m sorry this happened, your story telling definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

2. Oh my god. I had no idea that being allergic to milk could cause such an intense and scary reaction. I’m lactose intolerant, but all that means is that I get the cruelest stomach cramps and will have to end up spending most of my day in the bathroom. I’m very sorry that this happened to you– especially on your birthday. It’s never nice not knowing what’s next for you, and as someone who’s scared of death I probably would’ve hyper ventilated. This post was extremely interesting to read, and definitely made me more aware about the severity of food allergies. I would love to know more about what eating at restaurants is like for you since such a small amount of milk caused that big of a reaction for you. I’d like to add that the short sentences in your paragraphs made this a lot more (I don’t want to say fun… but I will say it), fun to read since it made it easier to concentrate on the actual content of your story.
    Thanks for sharing, and nice incorporation of some of the Flair chapters!

3. Wow Ive never heard of this type of reaction that must have been so scary. Personally I do not have any food allergies, but that must be so annoying to have to be on the lookout all the time. I love how you scientifically explained the type of reaction you had and went into detail how that changed how you act when looking to get food. Its great that your more assertive when it comes to your food choices since this experience! thank you for sharing.