Week 14 – MSC Tour

This week we toured the Millenium Science Complex.  Comment with one thing you took away from the tour.

21 thoughts on “Week 14 – MSC Tour”

1. I took away that everyone who works in this field and specifically this place works very hard. There is a lot of smarts needed in this and a lot of patience as well.

2. I learned that the clean room has around 100 particles of dust in it. Everyone within the lab must wear the proper suits and other gear to avoid bringing more dust particles into the room.

3. I learned that although we toured the materials research institute, they actually have people from many different fields that do research there. In addition, I learned that the MSC was built in a very particular way in order to reduce vibrations within the building.

4. I took away that all stuff here to be done with high technology which takes a lot of effort to operate. It really needs much knowledge and effort to involve in this field.

5. What I took away from the tour was that there are about 100 particles in the clean room, which is not easy to achieve. In order to maintain that, people working there wear the clean suits before going in there and have to have a good knowledge on how to operate on all the instruments and machines.

6. One thing I took away from the tour was finally learning why the rooms in the building had to have an orange light in them. And beyond that the specifications needed so there is little to no particulates in a given amount of space otherwise it could potentially ruin mechanisms being observed under a microscope.

7. One of the interesting things that I took away from the tour was how really small vibrations such as footsteps from another room can impact the close up pictures that they take.

8. I learned that the pretty garden is where it is to minimize the amount of people walking there, who would cause vibrations in the rooms.

9. The clean room is a very unique space and has less than 100 particles of dust in it I believe. Even if I didn’t remember this statistic exactly, the number is close and this is amazing.

10. I learned about the different tools and technology they use to look at very small particles, and that there is a garden outside to minimize vibrations caused by footsteps.

11. I learned about the different, impressive technologies used in the building. We talked a lot about the clean room, which I found fascinating. Also, I thought it was cool how they turn science into cool artwork and are able to submit it.

12. From our tour in the MSC, I learned that computer science can be applied in almost any field. Therefore, in the future, I will have to choose the field in which I want to be in and the apply what I learned in computer science.

13. I found it fascinating how each research labs was stabilized to improve upon the accuracy of the tests they performed in the labs. I would not have thought that people just walking on the sidewalk over head or in the hallway would affect experimental data so much.

14. I learned about the art “competitions” that researchers participate in. This is not something that I had ever seen or heard of before, but I found it to be very interesting – all of the pictures were so cool!

15. One thing I learned during my tour of the MSC was both the variety and specificity of the labs. Not only that, but I was able to see the vibration proofing I’ve heard about many times

16. I learned that I am not interested in lab work and research as I am with other areas like private sector jobs.

17. I learned there are a lot of opportunities for research no matter what field you are in. That way, you have a chance to do research for anything and have it related to your future.

18. I learned that there is a really cool competition where you look at microscopic landscapes and insert colors on the computers to make cool pictures. I also thought it was very interesting that the room had their own separate room in them in order to lessen the vibrations in the room.