When the Going Gets Tough/Heavy

So a week ago was the end of my first four week workout template with my trainer. It was now up to him to review the spread sheet I record my lifting on and make some changes and suggestions. The scary part of this is I knew he was going to up the weights for some lifts that I struggle with. The not so scary part was that I was excited to get new exercises and to change things up a bit.

A big change he made was the amount of reps and the weight instead of going heavier with less reps he adjusted some of the smaller movements to be less weight and more reps. This is a lot easier on my joints which have been giving me trouble lately. The heavier the weight is not necessarily the best way to make you stronger. But it is proper form and reps that can really help you build muscle.

I will admit I do not have a significant amount of upper body strength. I have come a long way but still have a substantial amount of work to do before I can hammer out 20 pushups. So safe to say bench press is not my favorite exercise. However this week I started with about 7.5lbs on each side of the bar so that makes 60lbs total. And instead of not finishing my max reps… I asked someone at the gym to spot me while I did it so I could finish strong. Having a spotter is really important and allows you to really confidently push through your last few reps.

Another exercise I find to be difficult with added weight is squats. Proper form is key in squatting and luckily my trainer is a competitive power lifer so he knows what he’s doing. So many people end up squatting incorrectly and 1. it is bad for your body and 2. you aren’t working the right parts of it. So in order for me to really do it correctly I end up taking my shoes off. You may be wondering why…. And it is because it’s really important to drive up through the heels and when you’re wearing sneakers it is hard to get your footing. In addition to looking like a dork with mismatched socks I end up staring at the wall and focusing. If I don’t I end up looking in the mirror and getting distracted. Getting distracted underneath the squat rack with 85+ lbs on your back can be a little hazardous.

I have now moved on to my second four week template and I am working on adding the weight. At first it can be intimidating but knowing it’s no big deal to ask for a spotter and that I am making progress makes it that much more fun. I am excited for what the next four weeks brings. It is important to focus on lifting safely and correctly with proper form before increasing the weight. Remember heavier is not necessarily better.