Real Time Chat

Office hours: a time where you can meet with your professor out of class and have a chance to speak with them one on one about anything you wish.

The first professor I ever met during office hours was my CAS100A professor, Kris Kroft. About a month ago, my class was getting ready to present their first speeches. I had absolutely no idea what I would do and was freaking out about it. I talked with Kris after class one day and he had to get home, so he asked me to come to office hours. Unfortunately, I have a class during both of his office hours and wouldn’t be able to make it, so Kris said send me a text message tomorrow with your name and I will call you back. The next day I shot him a text message and he called me a couple hours later. The phone call was extremely helpful. He helped me construct my idea and how I should go about presenting it. It was really cool that a professor took the time to speak with me outside of office hours. I don’t know many professors who would do that. Our conversation was very beneficial because he helped talk me through my outline for my speech and I really needed that.

The second professor I met with was my Spanish 002 professor, Adrianna Linnebur. In Spanish class, we have three in-class writings that we do throughout the semester. She grades them, returns them to us, and we edit them and turn them in as a final draft. As we get further into the units, Spanish can get pretty complicated and I was not understanding some of the edits she made on my paper. I attended her office hours to have her check over the work I already corrected and help me with the things I was unsure about. She was extremely helpful and thorough. She went through my entire paper with me, gave me other examples to use, and taught me other rules in Spanish that I was not sure about. Going to see her was extremely beneficial because I think I did a lot better on my final in-class writing than the last time. I also think going to see her will help me do better on my upcoming exam.

The third professor that I have met with is my Economics 102 professor, Wayne Geerling. Econ is my 8 a.m. class on Tuesday and Thursday. The class is hard enough itself, but then I take it at 8 a.m., which makes it 10 times harder. Wayne has offices hours directly after class lets out. We can walk down to the floor and receive help meet him or in his upstairs office when he heads up there. Following class, I will generally head down to the floor and ask him any questions that I have. I usually ask about the graphs we do and how we translate the results of the graph. He is a really cool guy and teaches the information in ways we can relate to best. It is always nice to chat with him because he is extremely helpful and makes sure you understand the topic he is teaching.

Office hours are a very beneficial experience that I think all students should participate in. I will definitely use office hours in the future when I need help in a class. Professors have office hours in order to help students with any questions they have and ensure that they are doing well in the class.  Professors want you to succeed just as much as we do.