Sugar or Sweetener?

Food—Whether it’s healthy or unhealthy the FDA is impartial. From the Netflix documentary Fed Up comes an eye-opening discovery of just how corrupt the government is when it comes to food. The documentary touches on the general nature of obesity and its growing numbers since the introduction of “fat-free” and “reduced fat” labeled products to the food industry. The documentary focuses on the FDA’s addition of sugar to these so-called healthier options and shows how the obesity rate of its consumers has skyrocketed.

MAILMASTER  Subject: FOR KNELMAN COLUMN On 2014-05-07, at 2:06 PM, Cohenca, Gregg wrote: Hi there, Please find attached a jpeg of the FED UP poster. Best, Gregg Gregg Cohenca RADiUS-TWC 99 Hudson Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10013 O: 212.845.8621 C: 914.924.3350  image001.jpg   FEDUP_Radius_Keyart.jpeg

Laurie David who is the producer of the documentary and an Oscar winning producer of “An Inconvenient Truth,” uses Katie Couric to deliver the purpose of Fed Up to its intended audience. Along with the use of Katie Couric, Laurie David uses former FDA members to inform her audience of its corruption. Also among the masses of jam packed information incorporated into the documentary is stories of children struggling with obesity. This aids Laurie David in getting her audience emotionally invested before she adverts her audience’s attention to the relationship of food companies and the FDA. In this portion, the documentary features the food industry as a whole as having a “credibility problem” when it comes to being paid off and putting masses of chemicals into the foods that consumers eat.

Throughout the documentary, Laurie David attracts and keeps her audience’s attention through scare tactics and hard facts without being too educationally boring or completely accusatory.

4 thoughts on “Sugar or Sweetener?

1. Jess Madden

I’ve seen this documentary before, and I think you did a nice job incorporating scare tactics into the growing epidemic of obesity in American. Nice Job!

2. dlp5382

Mentioning Katie Couric and Laurie David adds a strong ethos, that was very smart. This was very informative!

3. tmb5839

I really enjoyed the choice of article. Obesity really is a growing epidemic in America today and a lot of it comes from all the chemicals and unnatural products put in our food. I liked the way you showed the ethos and credibility of the people in the documentary as well.

4. cam6505

I really liked the topic choice, I had no clue things like this were happening and I liked the incorporation of the films rhetorical appeal at the end.