Post Spring Break Book Wonder

What did you do over your spring break? Let me guess… you watched (at least) three seasons of your new favorite show on netflix, you ate as much free food provided by your parents as you could (you don’t have to swipe your ID for dinner if it is made by mom!), slept in until noon each day (or later), and halfheartedly finished a few homework assignments on Sunday night, right before they’re due at midnight.

Was that close to what you did over break? I am going to guess that a lot of college students spent their spring breaks pretty closely to the scenario that I just described. However, I did not spend my spring break quite that way. Over spring break, I finished all of my homework and studying as soon as possible (yes, I am one of those non-procrastinator people, sorry if that freaks you out), slept in (but not until noon, I am also one of those mythical morning people, sorry if that freaks you out, too), and spent a lot of my free time reading. I think there is no better way to relax and de-stress after half of the semester is over, and as a result, I read for fun over break. I read a lot. It was absolutely lovely.

Now if you spent your whole break not reading at all, I pity you just a tiny bit (seriously, reading is so enjoyable! I do not understand how people can have so much free time and not read—the idea just blows my mind). But you can still read for fun dtimeuring the semester, even if you’re pretty busy with classes and clubs and everything. We are all busy, but it is possible to find time to read during the semester. I do it all the time. If you want to try reading something this semester, here is my newest recommendation. I read it over break, and I really enjoyed it. Perhaps some of you have heard about it. My focus of today’s blog is the book: The Time Traveler’s Wife, written by Audrey Niffenegger.

This book is longer than the usual books I review (518 pages), but don’t let that scare you away! I promise you will love this book. Well maybe. Not everyone has to love the books that I love, but it is so well written and interesting that I think most people would at least like it, if only a little bit.

As the title might give away, this book does involve a time traveler, and his wife. Big surprise. Clare, a willful art student/sculptor, first meets Henry, a librarian, when she is six and Henry is thirty six. They get married when Clare is twenty three and Henry is thirty one. How is this possible?

Everyone has different genetic codes that make up their DNA, but Henry’s is even more different from mine, yours, or Clare’s. His DNA causes him to have “Chrono-Displacement Disorder”, a condition where his genetic clock randomly changes and causes him to “time travel” at unpredictable moments in time. With Henry uncontrollably moving throughout time—sometimes disappearing for minutes, hours, or longer—can Clare and Henry live a normal life together? How will their marriage and relationship survive?

What does it mean to love someone regardless of time or age? If you love someone in one time, will you love them in the past or present or future?

Watch the movie trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUDlMBR-dQ

2 Comments on Post Spring Break Book Wonder

1. Gabrielle Genetelli
    March 20, 2015 at 2:52 pm (9 years ago)

I’ve never read the book, but I saw the movie. I am sure the book was ten times better because that’s the way it always is. Movies can’t incorporate everything that a book does.
    I also read over break! I often find myself too busy at school, so most of my reading is done at work or in the summer. It’s so relaxing!

2. ykx5001
    March 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm (9 years ago)

Oooh! I love reading over break! I love having no real obligations and getting to stay curled up in bed with a book all day. I think I’ve heard of The Time Traveler’s Wife before. It’s kind of a strange but interesting premise. I’m glad you got to read a book you liked though!