Keeping Up with America’s Favorite Family: The Kardashians

Back again for another week and another highly anticipated referendum of another reality television show, Keeping up with the Kardashians. 

The Kardashian-Jenner clan. (Photo: Hulu)

Photograph of the stars of the television show from 2022, fifteen years after the stars premier that made waves in the industry. 

2007 on Entertainment Tonight was revolutionary year, one that normalized the idea of being “famous for being famous,” which also doubles as being famous for being rich. Americans and people all over the world find themselves infatuated with watching the everyday lives, trials, and tribulations that come with being a multi-million dollar empire of a family. Originally pitched by the head of the empire, Kris Jenner, the Kardashian mogul was born and hit the ground running quickly in the reality television community.

Many may wonder what separates this plot-less series from reality dating television shows, how could they possibly both be successful? The Kardashian family shockingly hypnotizes viewers with their oblivion to modern day issues and the way they normalize extremely flagrant behavior only the extremely wealthy can afford. Although there are more examples of this then one could count, possibly the most iconic is in Kim’s Fairytale Wedding episode. This was many years ago, but the family spent over three million dollars on the event, all for just her wedding. 

The Kardashian-Jenners in 2011. From left: Khloe, Kylie, Kris, Kourtney, Kim and Kendall.

A Kardashian-Jenner throwback picture at the premier of the famous show in 2011. 

The show itself had no physical plot, which is confusing for viewers that aren’t familiar with the show. Each episode represents another peak into the lives of the mega-wealthy, viewers finding entertainment out of the “unrealistic-ness” of it all. Just as all of the other television shows I have reviewed so far, the beauty of these programs are the ability they give viewers to escape from their everyday monotony.

Now, many news outlets and critics had many concerns regarding the show’s launch. The New York Times, as just one example, feared that “the program was ‘purely about some desperate women climbing to the margins of fame.’ This type of harsh criticism focuses on the idea that the perception of the women in the show could foster an incorrect narrative with viewers that could present itself as dangerous.

Regardless of the concerns of critics everywhere, the majority of America finds themselves obsessed with the lavish lives of the Kardashians, and especially keeping up with them (get it?)

Although the show itself has enough mindless content to keep the average viewer engaged for weeks and weeks on end, let’s talk about the impact of the show. As simple minded as these women may seem, its important to realize the entire show is extremely intentional. The Kardashian-Jenner empire is much more intellectual then what might meet the eye. Everything from the way they dress, to what they post, to the way their show is framed is all decided on with their eyes on the money. And that is something no one can take away from the family, they are extremely capable of maximizing their empire.

So next time you think of clicking past the infamous Keeping up with the Kardashians, I challenge you to watch and see just how many interesting brand and business tricks you can pick up on the ladies utilizing.

Until next week, keep watching!

2 Comments on Keeping Up with America’s Favorite Family: The Kardashians

1. rlm6271
    October 13, 2023 at 1:25 pm (9 months ago)

I really enjoyed the shift you took during your blog post. You talked about the show and why viewers are continuously captivated by their lavish life and cluelessness, but then discussed the strategical methods each episode has. I only watch the little clips of the Kardashians that people on Tik Tok post, but this definitely makes me want to dive into the series a bit more.

Reply
  2. Hannah Boyle
    December 8, 2023 at 2:52 am (7 months ago)

Hello! I really enjoyed your blog post! What is reality television without the Kardashains. I have never truly gotten into watching the show an mainly because I was confused every time I watched it. I always felt so lost. Now that I know that the show has no plot from reading your post, that makes a lot more sense as to why I was always confused when I tried to get into the show. I had no idea that people were hesitant about the show taking off and now it is the face of reality tv.

Reply