Button Poetry Introduction by Kenneth Nolan

Button Poetry Introduction
By Kenneth Nolan III

Does poetry pique your interest? Are you overwhelmed by the amount of poets, subgenres, and categories? I have just the solution. Below, I’ve listed my top three favorite collections by poets who have been published by Button Poetry, with accompanying spoken word performances. Button Poetry publishes many diverse writers who are talented not only on the page, but performance-wise, as well. These performances help poetry maintain a level of relatability and accessibility. Button Poetry’s mission is to “showcase the power and diversity of voices [within the poet] community because [they] believe that poetry is for everyone.”

As a queer adult who suffers from poor mental health, these recommendations are curated for my own taste and lived experiences. That being said, I firmly believe each collection listed–
both within the main list as well as the honorable mentions– can speak to anyone, regardless of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. I hope that you give each poet a chance, as I am sure they will surprise and inspire you!

3. Blythe Baird, If My Body Could Speak

I Didn’t Always Salivate Over Skeletons

Blythe Baird writes about queer identity, trauma, body dysmorphia, and feminism. In this collection her words ebb and flow, allowing the reader to experience her life, empathizing with each struggle and joy. Through the ups and downs, confusion over sexual identity, and uphill
climb through eating disorders, the reader is taken on journeys– both happy and sad. Overall, this is an excellent collection about finding your place in this world.

2. Sabrina Benaim, Depression & Other Magic Tricks

The Loneliest Sweet Potato

Sabrina Benaim’s poetry came into widespread consciousness when her piece, “Explaining My Depression to My Mother” went viral. Like said piece, this collection deals with loneliness, depression, and finding happiness in the mundane. As someone who experiences depression and anxiety, this collection is like a comforting, warm blanket on a cold winter night. You can find solace within the pages. Remember: you’re not alone.

1. Olivia Gatwood, New American Best Friend

Alternate Universe in Which I Am Unfazed by the Men Who Do Not Love Me

Olivia Gatwood’s poetry is confessional, feminist, and, akin to Benaim, comforting. Gatwood’s writing is seemingly effortless; she lets the reader into her world with ease. This collectionexplores girlhood, sexuality, and both the violence and kindness of American life. Sharp, uncomfortable at times, yet necessary, this collection reads as a vivid recollection of important childhood lessons that only space could provide. If any of these collections or performances speak to you, there is an entire world of spoken-word at your fingertips! Each performance has been uploaded by Button Poetry’s very own YouTube channel. Digging through the channel is akin to jumping down a rabbithole. There’s poetry out there for everyone, and is more accessible now than ever before! I hope you can find your niche
and enjoy the art these writers, among others, create.

Honorable Mentions
1. Melissa Lozada-Oliva, peluda
2. Rachel Wiley, Nothing Is Okay
3. Brenna Twohy, Swallowtail