Michelangelo

“I’m still learning.” These were the parting words of famous Italian Renaissance artist Michelangelo. This man died at the ripe old age of 88, quite a feat considering it was 1564 and people were lucky if they made it past 40. Being a sculptor, artist, engineer, architect, and poet, Michelangelo brought a plethora of beauty to the 1500s. For such a revered figure during his time and through to the present day, his last words only seem to emphasize the greatness that he brought into the world. He rivaled Leonardo da Vinci as the “Man of the Renaissance”. As a man of many trades, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he would say something intelligent on his deathbed.

Personally, I think Michelangelo is one of the coolest dudes that has ever lived. In fact, if I had lived during the Renaissance, I definitely would have dated him if given the chance. Anyways, I think this quote is particularly amazing because it’s an accurate statement for anyone living on planet earth. There will always be something new to learn no matter how long someone lives. Being skilled in a variety of areas, Michelangelo was learning his entire life. And depending what happens when a heart stops beating… he’s probably still learning after death with everyone else that has died. Death is an experience that only those who are dead know, and everyone is able to gain that knowledge. What use it is has yet to be known. But the point is that we’ll have that knowledge, and that’s really all that matters.

One thought on “Michelangelo

1. Pingback: Famous Italian Words |