Original vs. Remastered vs. Revamped

Many popular games get remastered or reconstructed years after their original release. The companies producing these games make a significant profit just from the re-release of the once extremely profitable games. People that were big fans of popular games tend to replay the missions and do the different story lines of the games that they like the most. While replaying games is much more inexpensive than buying a new game it results in a lack of proper updates and maintenance for the game. As technology advances, it results in the graphics being a lot less developed then the more modern games. A great example would be the heavily popularized game “Spider-Man 2” made in 2004 by Activision that is still only playable on archaic (but still fun) gaming stations such as the original Xbox and the original PlayStation. The graphics on that game are extremely lackluster compared to today’s 4K graphics that most of the games being produced today have. Another big reason why companies like Activision and Ubisoft choose to revamp or remaster popular games is to update the gaming station capabilities so that newer customers with the more recent gaming stations can play. They also make a lot more money buy reintroducing the updated and new version of the games.

Spider Man 2

Remastered games have the exact same plot and story line as the previously released game of the same name. While, revamped games have the same name and same overall theme but the plot, missions, and story line are different. The most recent example that I can think of would be the game “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare”. This game has its original that was produced in 2007 by Activision and was rated “Best Overall Game of 2007” by a video game magazine called GameSpy. The remastered versions which is basically the same game but with enhanced features and much better graphics garnered a significant amount of profit when it was released in 2017 by the same company. The revamped versions of “Modern Warfare” had a completely different plot and story line and overall had a much more modern day transition from each mission throughout the game. Having played and completed the campaign mode on all three of these games, In my own opinion each has their own individual benefits and I would definitely play all of them again. I think that I really enjoyed the newest version of Modern Warfare because I personally believe it was one of Activision’s best campaigns to come out of their company in the last couple years.

A player wearing heavy Juggernaut armor aims a minigun at another player in a bombed-out cafe in a screenshot from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Revamped Modern Warfare