Passion Post #10: Back at It!

Back to school!

We are all back to the daily grind of college. After a hopefully relaxing break, we have seen our friends and ex-classmates and have possibly surveyed their appearances. There may have been chatter about who has unfortunately gained weight after falling victim to the drunk food, little time for exercise, and the overall stress of college. However, refrain from judging those people who have put on weight and focus on your own health this semester! Start off your second semester of college right and let’s get ready to take off the weight gained from one too many Christmas cookies.

Did you know?

*Your metabolism works fastest in the early hours of the day. Therefore, eating a 600 calorie meal at ten in the morning will be burned off more quickly than eating that same exact meal at ten at night.

Solution: Don’t skimp on breakfast. Go for that extra piece of fruit. When it comes to dinner time, avoid eating that extra roll or scoop of pasta.

*A cup of hot green tea in the morning will rev up your metabolism and is a good substitute for a cup of coffee with sugary creamers.

Solution: Buy disposable coffee cups so you can just pop them in your microwave to warm up the water, drop the tea bag in your cup, and then sip on the way to class!

*Eating excess amounts of salt and sodium retains water buildup in your body and can be concentrated in your stomach area.

Solution: Lose them ramen! Ramen noodles, easy mac, and soups contain absurd quantities of sodium. Opt for fresh fruit or a lower-sodium soup option.

*Fresh herbs contain large quantities of both vitamin’s A and C, which can improve your immune health.

Solution: Add basil, thyme, or parsley to your food. Lot for food options that have these delicious herbs in them. Herbs are guilt-free and natural ways to boost the flavor of your meals.

Although the tid bits of health information I just informed you of won’t cause you to drop pounds immediately, these long term tips are great ways to adjust your diet and think about your diet from a broader perspective. Little changes are the best way to improve your health without depriving yourself of the foods you love. For the new year, aim to become a healthier you by choosing green tea instead of a high calorie latte from Starbucks, or avoiding heating up those high-sodium ramen noodles sitting under your bed!

2 comments

1. Jaden Rankin-Wahlers

I like how many helpful suggestions you give, so if one doesn’t apply to me others do. I am the person who eats salty things all day, and I know it’s bad. Recently I have been trying to slowly cut off my excessive amount of salt to curb my problem. As for the tea and herbs, I absolutely love them, so that just gives me more of a reason to drink the tea and eat flavorful herbs. As for the food, I am not too sure about. I get hungry at random parts of the day (including 1 in the morning), and I just eat. What type of snacks do you recommend for a random hunger.

2. I find all of these to be extremely helpful. I’m personally very talented at eating large breakfasts. It’s something you don’t have to inform me of twice, however I need to remember that that will only be effective by cutting down my dinner portions. The sodium tip is one that all college students definitely need to be taking into account, because even if you’re not eating large portions, if your meals consist solely of chicken tenders and french fries from the Big O, you’re doing your stomach a great disservice. Overall, awesome tips!