Gluten, Gluten, Everywhere!

Hey friends! I hope you are all having a great week and are especially excited that it’s starting to feel like Fall!

Speaking of Fall, I absolutely LOVE the Fall drinks at Starbucks and I also found out they have Gluten Free breakfast sandwiches which literally makes my life 1,000 times better. My roommate and I went to get breakfast there last Friday and I was screaming with joy (internally, I’m not a crazy person) when I saw these new options. Plus, they store the sandwiches in separate packaging to reduce the risk of cross0contamination. Overall, Starbucks receives a 10/10 in my books.

Anyway… this week I’m going to talk about some of the surprising sources of gluten. I’ve told you about how it can be in almost every food, but it can also appear in products like makeup, sunscreen, building supplies, and even Play Dough! (My inner child is crying)

Anything that touches my skin can be absorbed into my bloodstream in 20 seconds. WOW. So when makeup companies use gluten, it can be just as dangerous as if I ate gluten itself. Don’t worry though, there are many companies that formulate their product without gluten so I look slightly less frightening in my 8am classes. I made a list ranking my top 3 gluten free makeup brands that I have researched and use myself.

1. Tarte Cosmetics – This is by far my favorite! I mainly use their mascara and Amazonian Clay blush and tinted moisturizer. It feels really good on my skin, especially without the gluten, and the company is certified gluten and cruelty free for their product testing. The biggest downside to using Tarte is the fact that it is SO DARN EXPENSIVE!!!!! I try to ration my stash of this stuff because any new purchase is a real blow to my bank account!
  2. E.L.F. – This is a close second, mainly because it is so convenient to buy and very cheap. Unlike Tarte, it is sold at Walmart and other grocery stores so I can get some gluten free makeup in a quick pinch. E.L.F. is also certified gluten free and cruelty free.
  3. Arbonne – This is a much less known cosmetics company but I really enjoy their gluten free products! I found out about this company at last year’s Gluten Free Expo and I love using their moisturizers. However, it is also pretty expensive and can only be ordered through a consultant or online.

Overall, these three options are great for maintaining a strict gluten free lifestyle. They are all certified gluten free along with other benefits. Ensuring all of my products are gluten free does take some extra effort, but I hope you find this post helpful if you were curious about gluten free makeup options.

If you could care less about makeup, sorry about the long post and I will make it up to you with a recipe for yummy peanut butter cookies in the recipes section. You’re welcome.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, and seriously, check out Starbucks. They are killing the Fall game.

Happily,

(Gluten) Free Pizza Girl