It’s almost time for Thanksgiving! As a college student, I hold my holiday breaks as a sacred time for family, sleep, and food! As the weather begins to get cooler day by day, seasonal flavors are popping up at restaurants across the country from pumpkin to maple pecan and the Christmas flavors like peppermint and hot cocoa. I absolutely love these holiday flavors and especially enjoy these festive holiday treats when they are gluten free!
For Thanksgiving this year, we are going down to my grandparents house to celebrate and eat lots of food. My grandma was also diagnosed with Celiac Disease recently so almost all of the food for the holidays is gluten free. Here are some of our traditional Thanksgiving delights that we serve every year:
- Turkey! – What would Thanksgiving be without turkey?! Luckily this staple is naturally gluten free as long as it is cooked with gluten free seasonings.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – This is by far my favorite food at Thanksgiving! My grandma makes this with a praline pecan topping that is absolutely delicious! (And gluten free!)
- Roasted Veggies – This is such a treat on Thanksgiving and they are naturally gluten free. You can chop up any seasonal veggies like Brussel sprouts and squash and roast with oil and spices for a healthy side.
- Pumpkin and Apple pie – Who could just settle with one holiday pie?! My mom usually makes the apple pie while my grandma makes the pumpkin pie. Both use a great gluten free pie crust recipe that I included in the recipe section! These are holiday essentials that are just as delicious made gluten free!
- Turkey Cookies – These are a unique holiday treat that my other grandma used to always make with us and now we carry the tradition ourselves and make them for every Thanksgiving. These simple cookies include a rolled chocolate cookie base cut with turkey cookie cutters. Once they are baked, they are topped with a bright pink frosting glaze. These are my favorite holiday treats and I can easily eat 30 of these cookies before our Thanksgiving meal even begins!
I hope you enjoy some of my family holiday treats and hopefully your holidays are filled with lots of delicious food and memories!
Check out the recipe page for my mom’s recipe for the delicious gluten free pie crust. It can be used to make just about any pie that you desire including pumpkin and apple which are classic favorites in our family.
I hope you all have a great holiday and you enjoy plenty of time with family and friends and lots of food! Enjoy your holiday break!
(Gluten) Free Pizza girl