The Price to Play

Every person needs an outlet for their stress and nerves of everyday life. Whether it be music, reading, or video games each human has a way that best helps them deal with any and all struggles they face. For many children across the United States that release is found in the joy of participating in athletics. This does not just go for the sensation of victory, but the notion of a team, exercise, and just plain, pure fun. Sadly, it is becoming harder and more difficult for children to participate in sports. Reports show that joining a sport as an amateur is getting increasingly more expensive. Put into perspective, it seems as though parents are paying for their children to have a full-time job of sorts. On the shopping list is team fees, uniforms, equipment, travel expenses, and possible doctor visits. It makes sense that the majority of children who are able to pay are supported by a household that nets an income of more than $100,000.
So, if it is too expensive to join a sport, at least those people have professional sports to go out and enjoy, right? It turns out this alternative route is not beneficial for families with smaller incomes either. The average bill for a trip for four that includes refreshments and some souvenirs easily surpasses $200 for all major sports leagues in the United States. And if you want to see a premier game in which a popular team is playing, prepare to empty out your wallet. For example, that same trip but at Madison Square Garden to see the New York Knicks basketball team can cost upwards of $650. This increase is partially due to the fact that marketing teams sell tickets as commodities. They see them as things that people want, and if they want them bad enough, they will pay a high price for them. Also, once you enter the game you are more likely to buy memorabilia and since the arena’s food is the only option available, they can charge whatever they like. It is because of this that families and other people are now deciding to stay home and just watch the game on television. Although, one beneficial effect of the price increase is that attendance is of Minor League sports are up. When the Major Leagues are too pricey to attend, why not see the next best option for severely cheaper? For example, that same average family can see a minor league baseball game for a TOTAL of $63.55. Despite this slight silver-lining, this is a dilemma that needs to be solved. Due to high team fees and resellers like StubHub, it is becoming increasingly difficult for children to partake in athletics and to even enjoy it at a professional level as a fan. My question that I ask, is how accessible do you think extracurriculars, such as sports or music, should be to the children who really want it? Do you think that people doing things that they enjoy are just as important as doing the things they need?

-http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/playing-sports-is-getting-too-expensive-for-many-kids-families-180947847/

-http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/07/23/have-concerts-and-sporting-events-become-too-expensive-for-the-average-fan/3/#38ea41e22ba5

-http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1012/why-the-prices-of-sports-tickets-vary-so-much-.aspx

1 Comment on "The Price to Play"

1. Abbey Zahoroiko | February 10, 2017 at 5:43 pm | Reply

Hey hi I didn’t post a passion blog yet sorry, soon maybe it’s about endangered animals it’l be a lovely read.
    Anyway, I was rather intrigued by your passion post. I really agree with your input on the matter that it’s unnaturally and overly-expensive. My family RARELY makes trips to baseball games because they’re so expensive let alone football games. My parents couldn’t even make it up to a PSU game this season. Aside from that, I participated in high school marching band throughout my high school career and the cost of each season cost well over $100. I think extracurriculars should be much more affordable. I come from a background of rather poor parents so that $100+ (right around 180 I believe, plus a $550 mandatory drum major academy every year for me) was quite debilitating. All children, whether they join things for fun or for the pursuit of a profession should be offered these activities at a lower cost all around. There’s no purpose for things to be so expensive except in order to pay higher-ups more money. Attending a drum corps competition costs $80 per person, high school competitions are around $20 (still a rather large whole in the pocket when you have 6 family members.) People doing things they enjoy is what shapes them into the people they become. Limiting people to only what they need makes them a shell of their true potential self.
    *drops keyboard*