New to the Frost: Rachel

Hello to all who are reading this! My name is Rachel Davis and I am a new intern here at the Frost Entomological Museum. I was born and raised in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and a few weeks ago I graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior. I am very happy now to be moving on to other exciting things! During college I was very fortunate to travel and pursue several scientific interests which have all lead me to where I am now. Although I was always the child who wanted to climb trees and catch squirrels, my professional interest in wildlife started when I studied abroad in Thailand to assist in tiger and avian conservation. From there I went on to travel to Australia and Belize for wildlife internships.

Rachel standing and smiling in a stream with an aerial net.

Ready to catch some odonates! Photo by R. Davis (CC BY 2.0). Click for source.

However, my love for entomology began just last summer in Northern Michigan where I studied the relationship between climate change and gregarine parasitism in the Caloptryx maculata  (Palisot, 1805) (Odonata: Calopterygidae). At the Frost, I am currently working on the digitization of the Beatty Collection. After digitizing, I will begin to georeference the localities of the collected specimens to create new species distribution maps for specific time periods. I love opening up a box of specimens and seeing that people were still catching damselflies during the Great Depression of the 30’s! I know that I will learn many valuable research skills while working in the Frost Museum and I greatly look forward to the next 10 weeks.

This entry was posted in Beatty collection, fun and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.