RSS Feed

RCL Blog Video

September 11, 2014 by Garren Christopher Stamp   

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FTF4Oz4dI

My favorite video of a speech is Stephen Colbert’s 2006 White House Correspondents’ dinner. I personally find Stephen Colbert to be one of the funniest and smartest comedians alive today. His way of blending actual political statements and ideas into clever and witty jokes is remarkable to me. However, I was very surprised when he was invited in 2006 to be a guest speaker at the Correspondents’ Dinner because his fake ultra conservative personality usually makes Republicans look bad. Nevertheless, he did a remarkable job and gave one of the funniest speeches i’ve ever seen.

This speech could have want many different ways and could have even came across as too harsh but due to Colbert’s mastery of comedy and timing he was able to pull it off masterly. A perfect example of this was his first real joke he gave. He did the usual intro to a speech in front of this many prominent people, complimenting everyone who was there, but then used excellent timing to turn his excitement into a reference to Dick Cheney shooting his buddy in the face during a hunting accident.

This kind of timing mastery continues throughout the speech. My personal favorite part is when Colbert makes fun of George Bush’s extremely low approval ratings. He uses a barrage of jokes to point out how bad his 32% approval rating truly is. The best timed and funniest joke was when after going on a little bit of a tangent how 32 isn’t that bad (using a glass of water as a reference, a play on the glass half full common analogy). He then put in the end that he wouldn’t drink that last 32% if it really was a drink because the last third is usually backwash. It was hilarious and perfectly timed.

1 Comment »

1. Emma Behr says:

This. Is. So. Funny. I couldn’t tell the whole time if Colbert is mocking Bush or not but either way, I love it! So funny. I also couldn’t really believe that Colbert spoke at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner…who from the Bush administration invited him??? I think he was mocking him and his distaste is pretty evident. So power to Colbert! I am highly amused! I love it! Thanks!

You must be logged in to post a comment.