Kuchisake Onna

This Japanese urban legend has spread across cultures since it was first heard around 1000 years ago. While it is considered an urban legend, time has created factual basis for the events. The story originally started as a warning to all women to stay faithful to their husbands, but when the woman known as Kuchisake Onna passed away, she became a vengeful spirit that attacked the young. Kuchisake Onna means “split-mouthed woman” and this is her story.

The origin for this tale comes from the Heian period in Japan. A Samurai warrior had a beautiful wife who would welcome attention from any man that dared to approach her. The Samurai found out that she was unfaithful and decided to fix the problem by carving her face open to give her a wide smile. After slicing his wife, he asked her “Who will think you’re beautiful now?” The woman died soon after that incident.

After her death, it is said that the woman became a spirit that would come back to haunt children. She is known to approach children with a surgical mask on to hide her mouth and ask them, “Am I pretty?” If the child answers yes then she removes her masks and asks the same question a second time. If the child answers yes a second time she will let them go, follow them home, and kill them later that night. If the child answers no to the first question, she will kill them immediately. If the child answers no to the second question she will she will once again kill them immediately. It is said that the only way to survive the ghost is to distract her by answering the questions in a way that makes her think, such as saying, “You’re average.”

The legend went quiet for a long time until the 1970s where she was supposedly found chasing children once again. Panic hit Japan closing schools and forcing children to remain indoors in order to not encounter Kuchisake Onna. It is said that her attacks stopped when she was struck by a car and killed while hunting down another victim. In 2007, one coroner report from the late 1970s was found from describing one injury, a torn mouth.

The Kuchisake Onna of today is a common urban legend spread from Japan to South Korea in books, movies, and television shows. Some even suggest that The Joker from Batman is based off of this ghost, having pale skin with green hair and a scarred smile to connect the dots to a thousand years prior to the creation of the character.

2 thoughts on “Kuchisake Onna

1. Like you had commented on my post, I absolutely love how similar our interests are! I had heard this urban legend before but not with so much detail! I really like how you were even able to loop this Japanese legend to the US by saying that The Joker may be based off Kuchisake Onna’s story. I’m curious to know why she would still kill a child even if they said she was pretty a second time. Did she not believe what they said? I like how chilling this legend is and how it has real time events such as keeping kids inside and closing schools. I can’t wait for the next legend! Thank you so much and well done!