Developing characters

So part of this semester’s project is to develop a cast of characters set in their own world. The bigger picture for my narrative resembles an imaginary feature length movie but my characters will appear in different scenes, wrapped in a trailer for said movie. In order to make this as cool as possible, I researched traditional methods of character and world creation. After getting a basic idea of what sort of character they are building, concept artists start off with simple sketches and designs. One of my favorite animation studios Studio Ghibli (Ugh, yes I know, yet another Ghibli wannabe but let me live, alright?) experiments with color in their character designs. They also dress their characters in different outfits, to get an idea of that character’s personality. I decided to try the same with the 3 main characters in my story.

Diamond, also known as Legendary Diamond Mouth. She is the protagonist of the story.

Cynthia, Cyn for short.

She is the deuteragonist of the story.

And finally, Marqo the tritagonist.

As you can see, I started out with more detailed designs in the initial stages of development. But I thought more about the exaggerated world I wanted to present. I wanted to focus on their heads without the restraints of necks. I thought it would also add a fantastical and humorous element

I rather like how the designs turned out and it was fun seeing how the style developed through out the process.