The Best Part of CGS?

One of the best things about interning with the Center for Global Studies is realizing how many things I don’t know. I didn’t know that our director had written a book about Stephen Colbert or that our associate director grew up in Hong Kong. I didn’t know that the Center had only been created three years ago. I didn’t know that this was probably going to be one of the most valuable experiences of my college career. I did not know how much I was going to learn and grow during this semester. Over the course of this semester I have been able to help with the most menial of intern tasks like putting up flyers and making photocopies. I have also listened to graduate student lectures and helped to prepare for the Geographies of Power conference. Through these tasks I have learned so much about what the Center does for our university, like when I helped with an Arabic literature acquisitions project with the library that CGS received money to fund. I also helped out with German Day for high school students that CGS co-sponsored. Every week we go to the YSCP and the Schlow Library and help spread global understanding in the local community. It is awesome to see what an impact CGS has on the school and town and we are helping them complete their goal of global education.  One reason why I wanted to work at CGS in the first place was because I don’t know where I want to go in my career. As an international relations major, I love my major but have numerous paths I could take and no clue which one to take. Interning here has given me the opportunity to meet so many people and hear their stories of how they got to their positions today, like our boss Sarah. Her path to CGS is so interesting and it was very reassuring to know that there is no set path that one has to take to be successful in this field. I know now that all of the seemingly random work and life experiences are going to help me in the future. Like that one time I studied abroad in Brussels and I worked at a museum? I’m not sure how I got there but I have had multiple interviews where people have spent time in Belgium and/or been to the Museum!
rmca.jpeg

Yes this is the beautiful, expansive museum created by a King of Belgium himself. I was lucky enough to work in that tiny building way off to the right.

So far CGS has been such a learning experience for me and I know that I am only going to learn more as the semester progresses. Sarah knows how much direction I am lacking in my career and she has made sure that I am taking steps to figure that out by setting up an interview with Dr. Cunning of the School of International Affairs and bringing us along to dinners with attendees of our conference.  And one of the best things that I didn’t know before coming to CGS was all the free stuff I was going to get as an intern! There is free food weekly in this office and after helping out with German Day we got free t-shirts. How much better can this place get? 

tshirtsmall.JPG
^^ Just another great day in the CGS office.