3 Easy Ways To Be More Environmentally Conscious

I’m sure that we have always come across articles such as these listing seemingly very simple ways to be more environmentally conscious. Personally, I always see these tips and stick with it for only a couple days, when I end up stopping and going back to my wasteful ways. However, I think writing this article will hopefully make me much more mindful about the small things that can make a difference while also hopefully inspiring others to do the same.

Stop using plastic bags!!!

I think that this is one of the easiest ones to implement. As we saw last blog, ocean pollution is a very large problem and non-biodegradable plastics are one of the biggest players in pollution. Although it might feel instinctual to grab a bag whenever you check out of Louie’s, try to avoid it! Most of the time, picking up a candy bar or a bag of chips don’t require a bag for themselves. Try to use your pocket! Although it is undeniable that there there are some times, we can always re-use old plastic bags or even use actual re-usable cloth bags.

Turn off the lights after leaving a room

This is something that the common parents always says; turn off the lights!! Not only does it lower the electricity bill, but it helps to conserve energy. The plants that generate the energy to power anything emit carbon and other greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases are molecules that absorb radiant light (such as that from the sun) and effectively trap the heat in the atmosphere. This is one of the main causes of what we know as global warming  The less non-renewable energy that we use, the less we contribute to global warming!!

Figure 1: Pictures the light switch that is located in every single dorm at Penn State. Encourages all to turn off the lights before leaving the room!

Cut off you mask straps of disposable masks after use

This tip is a bit different than the other two. We should always remember that our actions can affect the lives of not only other humans, but wildlife as well.

Figure 2: Pictures a small bird who is choking on the strap of a disposable mask. Shows how wildlife is highly affected by our pollution.

Recent studies have shown that over 3.4 billion (with a b) masks are thrown away every day. That means an extreme amount of pollution that ends up in wildlife. Animals, specifically small birds can choke on these masks; it is important to cut off the straps to reduce the risk of choking!!!

One thought on “3 Easy Ways To Be More Environmentally Conscious”

1. I’m glad I came across this post because I have the same tendencies to try to be more environmentally conscious and then falling back into my bad habits. I had no idea of the impact that disposable masks were having! I feel extremely bad now for all the disposable masks I had been wearing to the gym now that I just tossed away after wearing for 2 hours without much of a thought. I really hope no birds are getting tangled up in them (although that is probably a bit too optimistic). I can proudly say that I always turn off the lights, so at least I’m doing one of your three tips right…