2 Responses

1. Michael Ponza at |

Wish I could add the Oprah Gif in here.
    Another well thought out and put together post. I’ve really enjoyed reading your insights.

“Education has a history of “lurching from one fad to the next” As a teacher for 10 years, I can say with certainty that this is a way a lot of educators feel. Each August/September when Professional Development days roll around it always seems we are jumping to something new and what we did last year is now in the rear-view or out of date. It really hurts morale and trust in a program even if it happens to be a useful one, some educators are reluctant to give it a chance.

I agree with you about what mobile learning looks like to most and how some of these examples don’t appear to be mobile learning, but I challenge you to consider this. Those examples are extreme examples. Mobile learning doesn’t have to mean moving around outside in an environment. Imagine where these kids will be working and their work enviornemnts. Moving from cubicle to cubicle, desk to office, home to work etc. Mobile technology to me is more about collaboration and transition, being able to bring work with you to different devices and places near or far. Curious to hear what you think.

Reply
  2. jmd7186 at |

I think the findings of your first study make sense. Doesn’t student engagement and learning always take a positive jump when things are more organized and presented in a systematic manner? The traditional teaching model that Falloon speaks of has been around forever. Adding technology to that model obviously makes it stronger. I think the misconception most people have is that because technology is a new “fad” then everything around has to change too. I don’t think this is the case…. all new research is based off of old research, right?

I also like your paragraph about the factors needed to make sure there are positive learning outcomes with tablets. I think so many educators resist the change when schools go 1 to 1 that they miss these factors and it results in what many feel as a failure. I think too many times these projects are rushed to make things look “pretty” and the infrastructure is not put in place and that professional development piece is left out. And you are right, it results in unhappy students and teachers.

Reply