After the Jet Lag Has Worn Off

Going into this experience, especially at my age, I never expected to come out with so many life-changing experiences.  I certainly didn’t expect to come out with so many friends either.  Over the years I’ve grown into a very reserved person and thought that I was okay with it.  My experience with The GREEN Program helped me to realize that there is even more potential for me once I start putting myself out there.  I overcame so many barriers that I have been putting on myself the past 13 years on this trip:

• apprehension about my age and where I’m at in life
  • interacting with new people
  • being thrown into a group of engineers and feeling inadequate
  • hiking narrow mountain paths with a sheer drop
  • fricking ice climbing – pardon my French (I still feel the Viking spirit deep in my soul, haha)

I came out on the other side of it all unscathed and with a new sense of self.  It takes an experience like this to realize that I am the only thing that has been holding myself back all this time.  Maybe something I wish I had learned sooner, but better late than never.  I’ve been taking many more opportunities that come across my plate since returning home, especially activities with sustainability, environmental, or renewable energy focus.  Through putting myself out there in my community I’ve been able to start networking and making new friends that are into more of the things that I enjoy.  Though I haven’t nailed down exactly what my purpose in life is, I finally feel like I’m on the path I always belonged on.

I was asked to take the Student Engagement survey again.  I was expecting to score higher on the systems thinking section, as this was where I came up short originally and put a lot of focus on it while I was away.  Ensuring that I was taking all viewpoints, perspectives, and possibilities into account.  What I didn’t expect to find were higher scores in civic responsibility and professional development.  My experiences threw fuel on the fire that was already burning inside me.  While I still don’t know exactly what career I will find myself in, I know that I am passionate and will try as many as it takes to find my place in the fight against climate change.  I also found another score that I wasn’t expecting.  In the Ethical Behavior section, there is a statement that says, “I would stand up for a just or rightful cause even if it meant negative consequences for me.”  I originally scored myself a 5 on this question, because I was too meek to cause a commotion over my beliefs.  Today I scored myself a 10 because I am confident in my beliefs and have the courage to fight for them no matter what.

I won’t lie, I was very skeptical about how much of an impact my travel would have on me, especially at my age and after experiencing quite a lot in my life already.  Watching videos of TGP alum and ambassadors used to make me roll my eyes (I’m sorry!) and wonder how truthful they actually were.  Sitting here now I’m rolling my eyes at myself for doubting them.  I’ve attempted to put the experiences into words myself and I’ve got to say, the magnitude of it all can’t be done justice.  I consider myself extremely lucky for all that I’ve gained over just ten days.

Thank you for coming on this journey with me!

Kelli