Day 6: No Shower Has Ever Felt Better!

Now that I’m finally clean after our two-night excursion I’m able to sit down and process my thoughts a little better!  I will probably keep this one short and sweet because words can’t do justice for the views that I saw and the experiences that I got to have with my new little family.  There is something to be said about taking on extreme challenges with a group, it truly does bring you closer together.  The support that we all showed each other during camping, preparing meals, and our hikes was something that I don’t know I’ve ever had the chance to experience with people that I’ve known for under a week.

I won’t lie, I went out into the wilderness with all intentions of leaving academic thoughts back with my luggage.  Unfortunately for me, geothermal activity and/or remnants can be found EVERYWHERE in Iceland and it was impossible not to have some more thoughts about how we can make it work for us back home.  Though we only have access to the fault lines out in the western part of the country, I want to look closer at what is being done in regards to Enhanced Geothermal Systems, which is very similar to hydraulic fracturing (fracking) but to access geothermal sources rather than natural gas.  I also want to look into current policy supporting geothermal, as well as cost structures, to see where the barriers lie.

Steam escaping from somewhere near Eyjafjallajökull

While I didn’t specifically hit on any of the statements from the Student Engagement Network, I have gained growth in the areas of civic responsibility and professional development through our 12 mile hike.  We discussed the Leave No Trace principles in detail and got to practice them hands-on, giving me more knowledge to bring back with me when my friends and I are out enjoying the outdoors.  The hike was not my typical kind of hike, which can usually get pretty steep, but never involve large drops, landslides, or rock scrambles.  I faced a lot of my fears on that mountain yesterday, which is going to carry over into my professional life.  After taking on extreme challenges, putting yourself and your ideas out there in the business world seem far less terrifying…there are better views on the mountain, but I’m sure I will also reap rewards in my professional life.  Today I am feeling a confidence that I didn’t have when I entered Thorsmork two days ago and feeling so much less fearful about my future and entering into the working world again after graduation, no matter where I land.

Now, I can smell a chicken curry with my name on it!

Cheers!

Kelli