Fitness Centers

In figuring out what works for my life’s routine, I find that exercise is inextricably at its center. The campus facilities have allowed me to explore the best ways for me to work out, the best digs, and my favorite locations across campus.

Without further ado, here is my take on the fitness scene at Penn State:

White Building

(Image Credit)

My beloved! If you live in South, this gym is literally thirty seconds from your door. Although it is the oldest of the three gyms– or certainly seems the least renovated– it is robust in equipment and variety. Its greatest weakness is rush hour, about 3pm-7pm; there are times when no squat rack, nor bench press, nor 15lbs dumbbell is free to use. I would recommend being attentive by having a flexible workout plan that can be modified to fit the equipment available.

A trustworthy, flexible way to get into the gym when it is crowded is to start with a squat of any kind. This is usually fool-proof, as there is generally a dumbbell within the 30-40lbs range at your disposal. Goblet squats, split squats (bench or surface required), or lunges will all work during busy times.

The other way to get around the equipment shortage is to put off the rush by heading to the cardio room first– that’s right, warming up! A good 5min light jog or pedal is a good way to get blood flowing to your muscles prior to heavy lifting, meaning that you are more likely to lift effectively to the best of your ability. It also reduces injury chance– give it a shot!

IM Building

IM Building recognized with 2018 Facilities of Merit Award | Penn State University

(Image Credit)

In the IM Building, there is a greater variety of equipment at your disposal. This includes the running track for warmup, as well as a million strange and sundry lifting machines that I do not understand the purpose of. The open space above the main dumbbell section is very useful for quick pull-up reps and light lifts– the max weights up there are around 30lbs. My greatest recommendation with working out here, like everywhere, is that you bring a friend who knows slightly more than you, or that you find someone who fits the bill.

Personally, one of the most rewarding parts of lifting has been learning about the process itself. Meeting other people who are interested in getting stronger or bettering themselves is a seriously uplifting experience, so don’t be afraid to ask others about their routines and tips! There are always new corners to discover, different group workouts to sign up for, and options to explore. Get out there!

West Building (?)

(Image Credit)

I will be honest, my fellows. I have only been to this gym twice, and it is so, so far from everything– unless you are a grad student or a frat brother who woke up late but still needs to get his (dehydrated) lift in, I would not go here.

One of the main attractions of lifting at Penn State is the tasty treat at the end, in the form of a nice shake from ShakeSmart. If you have never been to one, it is like the gym rat’s Starbucks– there is an entire culture and identity built around it. However, there is a distinct and cruel lack of a ShakeSmart at West. For this reason, it is less crowded, but you must bring your own Cliff Bars. Personally, I will not take this affront to my dignity. I want my Power of Ten with chia seeds, not because it is the shake that I need, but it is the shake that I deserve.

In short, have fun with it! It’s no secret that the key to a good lift is not to take it too seriously. Pick a routine that is consistent and workable for you– and of course, go with friends to share in the fun.

Happy lifting!

One thought on “Fitness Centers

1. This was a really good overview of the different fitness center options on campus. I’ve personally never been to the gym in west, but have seen the other two. It’s definitely a little annoying to try and get a good workout in, especially if you have early classes, because you’re stuck either going during the busiest times when its nearly impossible to get a rack without waiting or you have to go super early in the morning, which is never fun. It’d be interesting to see the data of when exactly the gyms are busiest and see if there were any little pockets of time that it slowed down enough to get a full workout in a small amount of time.