Library Love Letter

As a young child, one of my favorite places to be was the library. I loved the tall, arching aisles of books with their inviting green carpet, and I loved the scratchy feeling of that carpet against my skin when I plopped down with a book of my choice. Being so small, and so utterly dwarfed by the volume of books available to me, is like the close comfort of a low roof in a cottage. The authors themselves were fantastic, patient, and welcoming– we were fast friends.

The library has always been a key feature of my hometown, even though my visits have become less frequent. Coming to Penn State, the library and literary resources have certainly shaped my experience of the community, and I have to say that it has been for the better.

First up to bat is the Downtown Student Bookstore, where an employee opened the door to me before the store hours started. Maybe he saw the desperation in my eyes, caught completely off guard by the required textbook for my 9am class– I wasn’t exactly put-together at that point. There was something distinctly evocative of a librarian in the way he showed me to my textbook, something about ushering me toward a “good read” that I found very welcoming. He had the trademarked librarian sense of conspiracy, like when they let you renew a book you love for the 3rd time. All of the folks at that store were wonderful, and they were the literature sort of people. It comforted me.

Photo

(Image Credit)

The main campus Student Bookstore is not like that, and forgive me, but I have a hard time articulating why. They do have a book section, yes– but it feels more like a mini rack compared to the great presence of a larger merchandise store. They have textbook rentals and delivery– but the books come in plastic sheeting like a warehouse. The marriage of the upper Starbucks deck and the Student Bookstore is somewhat of a flop, and few people go there, despite the ancient goodwill between coffee and book reading.

Photo

Conversely, the Pattee and Paterno Library dovetails these two with marvelous efficiency. Yes, sometimes the latte line stretches past the security-gated entrance– but it moves quickly and, in my opinion, unobtrusively. There is a rich aroma when walking into the library, and it feels so natural that I love to sit down and bask in it. There is a quieter section that sits next to the cafe, shielded from the noise but party to the general soft sound of human beings. Joining the two sections, you find a nicely curated rack of intriguing reads, which welcomes the coffee enjoyers to engage in a little perusal. I think that is a very important aspect of a library– the success with which you can walk in and spark a connection with the material.

(Image Credit)

I have wandered through the stacks many a time. I love finding new little books in smaller spaces, and every single spine is dripping with the story that I have not yet seen. That’s how I found “Beyond Uhura” by Nichelle Nichols, AKA Star Trek’s Lieutenant Uhura, which documents her trailblazing experience as the first black woman in a continuing role on a major TV series. I picked up the book as a connection to my father, who loves watching those old black-and-white shows with me at 3am– when I was still awake, and he was waking up. I loved those summers with him, and so I picked up the autobiography with a little thought to my own life, as well. There is so much depth to a library, and so many stories in just one book. Isn’t that something?

(My copy is plain and black, with gold writing. I kind of prefer it!)

(Image Credit)

Part of my college adjustment is learning how to balance different things in my life, now that I am fully in control of it. I think I could use to spend a little more time at my roots, in the library.

7 thoughts on “Library Love Letter

1. I can completely relate to your love letter to libraries. There truly is something about the architecture, high ceilings, and stacks of books that encapsulate you in comfort and warmth. Of all the three PSU libraries you have mentioned, I would agree that Pattee and Paterno are the best. My favorite areas are the reading room on the second floor and the stacks. The reading room makes me feel like I am in Hogwarts, and when I am reading or doing homework there, I feel transported into a new world. The stacks, on the other hand, feel like I am in a cave of books, and I am the only person left in the world. Pair these two places with coffee, and I am a very happy camper (or in this case, reader). I can see your point about the Barnes and Noble Starbucks in the HUB. Although I often do work there, it isn’t as pleasant as doing work in the library. Maybe it is the seats or the lighting, but I don’t feel the same type of whimsy there.

• I have heard of a “Hogwarts” room at the library, it might be worth checking out! Also, I like how you described the polarization between various rooms in the library (stacks versus other study rooms), the library is truly an architectural masterpiece. Every time I walk into the library, I am proud to be part of an institution with such a great library with resources for students.

2. Personally, I also enjoy the Patee and Paterno library and find it particularly enjoyable to do homework and read! When I “zoom out” and think of the amount of knowledge that building contains within the stacks and the upper levels, it is honestly unfathomable. I was reading a book (pun intended ha!), and it stated that reading is crucial to cognitive learning. In the book, the author relates reading is like exercising for our minds. Reading allows people to download decades of information into days/months, that’s truly incredible when I think about it. Consequently, I have taken on a challenge that for 2023, I am going to read a book a month, so far so good!

3. I really enjoyed reading this piece – I too am a huge fan of literature, and have spent my first two semesters at Penn State adjusting to my new surroundings. I agree that Pattee and Paterno are the best – there’s something enchanting about getting lost in the stacks whilst searching for books – it’s as if time is completely illusionary (which is a sentiment I’d like to experience more often). The HUB Book Store definitely feels more corporate / culty / (insert typical PSU adjective here), but still has a decent selection if you’re passing by.

4. Leah,
    I love your name for starters 🙂 I loved this blog post! Your diction is so perfectly curated to match this topic of libraries as I feel like it’s straight from the pages of an eloquent novel. You are so well-spoken and managed to truly paint a picture with your words. The pictures you included in this post truly enhanced my experience and interactions with this blog post. I agree that libraries can be such a comforting place as you just get lost in the architecture and the pages of the books. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and I think you presented this topic in a very great manner!

5. You hit the nail right on the head will everything in this post. Student bookstore over campus bookstore any day of the week. Not even close. And the atmosphere in Pattee and Paterno is the best. I keep meaning to spend to more of my time just meandering through the stacks – whenever I end up at the library it is usually because I have a need to get work done.

6. I strongly relate to your love towards libraries. I have very fond memories of going to Barnes and Noble when I was younger and listening to a book read. And of course, now I enjoy a coffee with my reading. I have been to the stacks a couple of times to marvel in how many books there are hidden away. Whether I take the time to enjoy these books depends on my intention in going to the library: to seriously study or to burn some time. Regardless, you rich and lively language truly communicates your love for libraries. Great post!

7. Both of my parents went here, so I’ve been to campus plenty of times even before I enrolled at PSU, and every time we’re downtown as a family, the student bookstore is a frequent stop. I agree that the student bookstore is way over the HUB bookstore for this reason, as it’s mostly cheaper and its selection of items is definitely better as well. Your opinion on the stacks is also valid, as I feel they’re weirdly nostalgic.