Petting Every Dog

Anyone who knows me is familiar with my rule– it applies walking, sitting, or lying down on the HUB lawn. It applies when I am doing my homework by the window. And yes, it applies when you are with me in public — no need to get exasperated, just come over here and join me.

I’m speaking, of course, about petting every dog I see. There are certainly exceptions for working dogs, and I never pet a dog who isn’t happy to see me– but outside of those narrow parameters (I mean, who wouldn’t be happy to see me!?) I strive to be faithful to the code. I’m going for 100% accuracy, and I am always on the prowl.

This began in my middle school years, when I was just starting out at PICL, the PA Interscholastic Cycling League. Our weekend racing events were always packed with outdoorsy people, and– whether the venue allowed it or not– there was always an abundance of wagging tails and golden smiles. Mountain bikers love their dogs, and they love to meet people. Thus began the tradition of meeting every dog owner in the tri state area.

Our weekend rallies get pretty wild. This is Coach Jon in a T-Rex costume.

(Image Source)

My home is not too densely populated, so if I saw a dog being walked out in the woods, I usually knew the owner. There was a pair of vishlas that I occasionally took care of, and they were the best, wiggliest little guys anybody can ask for.

When I got to State College, it became much more of an active effort to greet each fluffy canine who came my way. However, I still make the effort to do it– for two reasons.

For one, I am missing my own dog at home. Her name is Zelda, and she is a yellow lab– and the biggest thing I am looking forward to seeing over my visiting weekends! There is a certain, invaluable quality of a home with a dog that goes unappreciated: a free hug whenever you need one. At college, that is big. We can all use a hug every now and again.

(Image Source: Author)

This is my Zelda!

The second reason I like to meet all these dogs is the human element– an easy chat with their owners. I always find that people are willing to talk about their dogs, something they love dearly, even to a complete stranger like myself. I’m trying to seek out more little moments of humanity like those, to get to know my big, wide community at Penn State, one dog at a time.

So, there you have it. If we are out on a walk, or sitting at a park bench, or even if I am holding hot coffee and see a dog rounding the corner– there I go! It can’t be helped, and I won’t be stopped. Not until I have scratched every canine ear and bopped every nose in State College. Try as you might, I won’t be dissuaded. My dear future companion, I’m afraid that the best you can do is follow along after me.

2 thoughts on “Petting Every Dog

1. I am in full agreement. They’re my kryptonite — if I see one, I shriek, then squeal, then run over and pet the pup. There is nothing like petting a dog, and I say that as a cat person! Your vivid description of your dog and your love for her is so rich and well done, and I can feel the affection shining through. Well done!

2. I never really thought about it but it is almost second nature to pet any dog I see. I have two at home and miss them while I’m at college, but even just petting one dog a week helps me get through it.