Little Notes Everywhere

Most mornings, you will find me taking every opportunity to sleep in, only waking up at the last possible minute to get myself out of the door. However, some days you might see me waking up before my alarm and hastily making, of all things, a note.

I like to leave little notes for my roommate in the morning. They can be simple, like a sunny doodle accompanied by, “Have a nice day!” They might be longer, a real pick-me-up. Either way, I do my best to let her know that I appreciate her. After all, I feel very grateful to have a roommate who is also my friend– it’s a gift not everyone gets.

As of late, that has been my undertaking. I am trying to appreciate the people in my life, as well as the wonderful things I have at my disposal. Ultimately, practicing gratitude has been one of my greatest strengths in recent times, as I spend more time away from home for the sake of education. To round out this blog, which may well be my last, I’d like to list the things I have found to bring me joy when the scale of my life gets too big to handle.

Without further ado, here are some bite-sized pieces of gratitude.

1) Write a Note!
I have already mentioned this one in my own life, but this can have many applications outside of the people you are physically near. Write a letter to a friend you’ve lost contact with, or a relative, or even to yourself as you look at the task ahead of you. You don’t have to send it, but if you are moved to do so, then do. It doesn’t fix everything, and it does not move mountains– but it does the important work of empowering you to write your own narrative.

If you have a spare minute today or want to put some joy into the world, a little note can be impactful. Give it a try!

How And When To Take Notes

(Image Source)

2) Make Something

This sounds simple enough, but making something–especially for someone else– is a great way to channel your restlessness into something joyful. I like to make food, whether it’s box-mix muffins or something from scratch, and share that with the people I love. Next year, when I have a Nittany Apartment and a kitchenette of my own, I’m going to bake my neighbors cookies like a little old grandma.

The future is often up in the air, and more uncertain by the minute. I’m not even sure what the apartment will look like next year, as Housing just told me to find a fourth roommate in a week or scram! In the desperation to control the future, I try to hold onto little things, like the idea of making muffins for my neighbors (apartment neighbors? Flatmates?), to get me through.

Try making something concrete. It really can empower you to make the intangible changes you want to see, as well.

Pin on Teddy Bears
Me and the homies (2023, colorized)

(Image Source)

3) Hugs!

This one is hard to work around, especially separated by distance. Sometimes, the best you can do is to hug the people you’ve got while you’ve got them, even if it is only for a short time. Be in the moment; experience the love that is there; leave little room for regrets.

Those things are the best I’ve got, so give gratitude a try if you’re looking to laugh in the dark. Of course, it’s not as simple as all that, but that’s all I know so far.

See you around, Penn State.