My Plan As GM of the Wizards

The search for a new GM is finally underway. Ava Wallace of the Washington Post announced that the Wizards have contacted two candidates: Trajan Langdon (GM of the Pelicans) and Milt Newton (Assistant GM of the Bucks). 

Formal interviews have yet to be conducted but keep an eye on these names as the search progresses. I’m certain that Ted has his eyes set on someone currently in the playoffs. That could mean Bob Meyers. It could also mean a plethora of other names. We will know for certain as the second round wraps up and more candidates appear. 

As it stands, the Wizards will be the only team without a GM at the draft combine and lottery next week. With so many important steps in the draft process coming up, and with the NBA Draft just 6 weeks away, time is not on the Wizards side. Moving this process along quickly is in Washington’s best interest. You don’t want to reach June 22nd and be forced to have your president of player programs make your selection. 

So, let’s say Ted gets desperate and looks to a true fan of the team for help. He calls me up and asks me to lay out my plan as GM. Here’s what I would do:

The Draft:

Writing this now is a bit tricky considering that no one knows where the Wizards will be picking come June. For the sake of this simulation, let’s just say the Wizards stay put at #8. They have three total picks, two coming in the second round. After running a mock draft on Fanspo.com, here are the results:

#8: PG Anthony Black

Anthony Black just makes the most sense here. I was between him and Casan Wallace, but the size of Black sets him apart. He’s a terrific passer with top-tier court vision. At 6’7, he can shoot over smaller guards and create mismatches on offense. Defensively, he’s considered to be one of, if not the best, defensive guards in this draft class. Black’s size and passing ability paired with Beal and Porzingis could be a thing to watch next season.

TRADE:

#28 —> WAS

#38 (via SAC), #42, #59 —> UTA

#28: Maxwell Lewis

I know this is a lot to give up. Especially to only move up 10 spots. However, when Lewis was still there at pick 28, i had to make the jump.

You hear the term “three-and-D wing” a lot, but Lewis is the true definition. At 6’7, his 6’10 wingspan allows him to get into passing lanes and disrupt shots. He’s the lengthy defender we need.

His three-ball was fairly average in college, coming in at 35% for the season. Lewis averaged 17 ppg and 5 rpg at Pepperdine, showing real NBA skills along the way.

Players that won’t be back:

PG Kendrick Nunn

C Taj Gibson

Own Free Agents: My Offers

Porzingis: 4 years / $120 million

Assuming that KP declines his player option, which is a formality at this point, I would like to lock him up long-term. Opting for length over annual salary makes sense for both sides. KP gets more guaranteed money, and we avoid dipping into the luxury tax.

This would make him the 8th highest paid center in the league, an adequate ranking for Porzingis. $30 million per year for a guy that averaged 23 & 10 last season is a solid price. If Porzingis stays clear of injury, this is a fair price for both sides.

Kuzma:  4 years / $120 million

Here’s the deal. I am not happy about paying Kuzma this much money. $30 million per year is a ton for a third option. However, it is on pace with guys like Tyler Herro. Fringe 20 ppg scorers with a ton of upside. To his credit, Kuzma has improved in each year of his career, so it’s possible he plays even better next season.

If i got my way, the offer would be around $100 million for four years. However, I understand that Kuzma will have a decent market. With other teams competing with us and offering larger deals, I would have to step my game up just a bit for Kuz.

Now, if a team like Charlotte or Detroit with infinite cap space swoops in and offers anything over $120 million, I would be forced to let him go. I already feel like $30 million per year is too much, let alone anything higher. Kuz is a tremendous player and fits well in D.C. I just hope our price range is enough to keep him here.

Trades:

Monte Morris, Anthony Gill —> SAC

Richaun Holmes, 2023 second-round pick (via IND) —> WAS

With the logjam at PG after selecting Black, someone has to go. As much as I like Monte Morris and value his offensive abilities, we have a guy in Jordan Goodwin that can do similar things for significantly less money.

Holmes is a 6’10 bruiser. I’d compare him to Montrezl Harrell.  He’ll fight on the glass to keep possessions alive and provides quickness that other centers lack. His lack of size can be an issue, but it’s not something I’d be too concerned about.

With the two-center starting lineup most likely deployed again next season, having a serviceable big man to back up KP and Gaff is a necessity. He’s not going to set the world on fire, but he’s damn sure going to be better than Taj Gibson. Honestly, I think I would have been a better option than Taj Gibson. He was that bad.

Free Agency:

C Jay Huff: 2 years / $4 million

Center depth is the main weak spot. With the Holmes deal, we have a solid backup to KP and Gafford. We need more depth at the position though, which is why I am converting Huff’s contract to a standard NBA deal.

In the final 3 games last season, all in which Huff got solid minutes for the Wizards, he averaged 14.7 points and 5.7 rebounds on 54% 3pt. Huff spaces the floor and provides another shot-blocker on the backend of our defense.

Final Roster:

PG: D. Wright / A. Black / J. Goodwin / D. Dotson (two-way)

SG: B. Beal / J. Davis / Q. Jackson (two-way)

SF: K. Kuzma / C. Kispert / M. Lewis

PF: D. Avdija / X. Cooks / I. Todd

C: K. Porzingis / D. Gafford / R. Holmes / J. Huff

So, if i were named GM of the Wizards, this is how i would build the roster around our “big 3.” I know it’s not stylish or flashy. Most of it is low-key moves that retain our own players. However, I think the talent is there. Adding in a skilled young PG, as well as better front-court depth, could go a long way in improving this roster.

WUJ now has all the tools needed to succeed. If my hand is truly forced and Ted makes me give him another chance, he’ll have a great shot to prove himself. This is a top-7 roster in the East. It’s time we start playing like it.

As always, feel free to let me know which decisions you agree with, as well as what you disagree with. You can leave a comment or send me a message on Twitter with your thoughts. Go Wiz!

All stats and info found on these sites:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/2023-24/cap-hit/small-forward/

https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/jay-huff-wizards-last-3-games

2 thoughts on “My Plan As GM of the Wizards”

1. The Wizards need to sign a true bucket getter to come be a spark off the bench and can play down the stretch of games. Like how Jordan poole (when playing good) is for GS or Malik Monk for SAC.

1. 100%! They tried that with Will Barton, but it didn’t work out. Hopefully they can bring in someone or draft a guy to come off the bench and be the scorer that they need.