The ‘Star Wars’ Countdown

‘Star Wars’ has been one of my biggest passions ever since I was five years old. I vividly remember buying Revenge of the Sith on DVD with my mom. I also vividly remember crying when I completed watching it. At the time, that film was assumed to be the end of ‘Star Wars’ movies; Revenge of the Sith concluded the Prequel Trilogy, which fully capped off the story of Darth Vader—a story that had been introduced to us in the Original ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy released between 1977 and 1983. There was a definitive beginning, middle, and end within these six total films. Moreover, there wasn’t necessarily a need to develop any future films, considering the saga, as a whole, was complete. And that was very upsetting to me as a young ‘Star Wars’ super-fan.

(Five-year-old me after unwrapping my new Revenge of the Sith poster on Christmas morning)

Little did I know that Disney would soon purchase Lucasfilm (the company which produces all of the ‘Star Wars’ movies) in 2012 and launch a new era for the franchise. In December of 2015, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released to the public. This film marked the seventh installment in the ‘Star Wars’ saga and the first installment of the Sequel Trilogy. The following December, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hit theaters. This film marked the first of the ‘Star Wars’ spinoff movies. No longer would Lucasfilm solely produce episodic films strictly related to Darth Vader and the overall Skywalker bloodline. Rather, they would venture out and produce additional movies focused on characters and/or events within the ‘Star Wars’ universe that simply have not gotten their fair share of screen time or backstory. Since Rogue One’s release, Lucasfilm has also produced Star Wars: The Last Jedi (the eighth episode in the Star Wars saga) and Solo: A Star Wars Story (a spinoff film focused on the beloved character of Han Solo and his origins). With these new additions to the ‘Star Wars’ universe, my passion has only been intensified. I am enthralled so much by the movies that I have taken it upon myself to rank all ten of them throughout the course of this blog.

And I’m not talking about just a list ranging from #1 to #10. I’m talking about a standard points system with specific sets of criteria that will be used to judge each individual movie. I will review each film in ten different categories, with each movie capable of receiving a total of ten points in each one. By accumulating the points from each of these categories, a score on a 100-point scale will be produced. It is this score that I will use to rank each of the movies. Before I begin ranking next week, I find it essential that you are aware of the categories I am using as criteria:

Story: Is it interesting? Does it take us on an adventure? Does it have a solid beginning, middle, and end?

Characters: Can we get attached to them? Do they develop? Are they lovable?

Locations: Are they practical? Are they out-of-this world? Do they fit into the story properly?

Humor: Is there too little of it? Too much? Is it out of place? Is it classic ‘Star Wars’ humor?

Score: Is the music memorable? Are there any standout themes? How does the music accent the film?

Pacing: Is there an exposition, rising action, and climax? Is there a smooth progression amongst these three features? Does the movie flow nicely or is it choppy?

Dialogue: Are there memorable lines or phrases? Is the dialogue well-written or is it clunky?

Action: Is the action realistic? Is it well-choreographed? Is it memorable? Does it enhance the story?

Cinematography: How does the movie look and, thus, feel? Is it well-shot? Does the movie produce any outstanding shots?

Moments: Does the movie contain any iconic ‘Star Wars’ moments? How do these moments enhance the story?

And for those of you who aren’t as familiar with the Star Wars movies, here’s the list of all ten of them. You can also read a short synopsis and watch the trailer for each of the movies here.

PREQUEL TRILOGY

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

ORIGINAL TRILOGY

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

SEQUEL TRILOGY

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)

SPINOFF FILMS

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

I am very much looking forward to ranking these films in the coming weeks, and I thank you for being a part of it.

May the Force be with you,

Connor

3 thoughts on “The ‘Star Wars’ Countdown

1. I just started to watch Star Wars this summer with my younger brother, but I can definitely see why you are so passionate about the movies. I never thought that the Star Wars movies were going to be my cup of tea, but I was wrong. I think that the way you are setting up your blog is really interesting because you are analyzing every aspect of the films, not just one giant opinion on the whole movie. Breaking down the films into smaller categories will help your readers learn a lot about every aspect of the different films, from the characters to the lessons learned. I am definitely looking forward to reading your blog every week and learning something new about Star Wars.

2. I wish I could explain the joy I felt when I found your blog! I just had to come back and comment, and I cannot wait to get to read your posts every week. I myself am also a HUGE Star Wars fan and am very excited to see your ranking system tear up or tear down the films. Back home I live about 45 minutes away from Skywalker Ranch in Nicasio, CA, which is Lucas’ workplace and ranch. My mom works for the Marin County Fire Department, whom Lucas is a big supporter of (as his ranch is in Marin County), so long story short I go to Skywalker all of the time. From private movie screenings, both new and old, to taking a picture with the real C3PO and R2D2 and trying on an ewok costume when I was small enough to fit in one – let me tell you its the real fan experience. It is closed off to the public, but if you ever make it out to California, it’s worth asking about! I cannot wait to see what your next posts have in store, I already read the other two and they can only go up from there!