Luke Hedrick

Image result for luke hedrick lower dauphin
Luke Hedrick, Lower Dauphin High School

Luke Hedrick.

I know him as my brother.

Part of my family.

Image result for luke hedrick griffin jackson
Luke #23, Griffin #32

He is the most humble, but confident person that I know. From 3rd grade on up we were two peas in a pod. Some called us the Splash Brother’s on the basketball court. In our middle school years we won over 100 games and lost under 5. I say we, but it was really Luke. His ability to lead and and just outwork everyone was a spirit that was contagious. I dreamed of our senior year together, and all the wins that we’d have. But it didn’t work out that way.

After sophomore year his family decided to settle just across the Swatara Creek in another school district. His new house was probably the same distance from me as his old one was. He honestly may have moved closer to Hershey, but at the same time so much further. The kid who I was always around wasn’t going to be there to walk the halls anymore. He weren’t going to be able to to goof on in class and try to see who can make the most shots. We were no longer going to be on the same team. We were seen as inseparable, but now he was wearing royal blue. The color of the Lower Dauphin Falcons. Our rival. Our two schools have that unnecessary beef just because they were so close to us.

Twice a year I would have to go up against the kid who is on my team. He may have been wearing another jersey, but I would never accept the fact that he was on a different team than mine. Our friends made it out to be a big deal, Luke vs. Griffin. But it was never about us. It was about doing everything we could to win, smile after a few threes, and then hug in the handshake line. Over those two years we were 1-3 against Luke and during his senior year Luke led his team to a district championship and a deep run in the state playoffs. That kid no one would notice when walking into the gym, would have everyone respecting him walking out. He went on to win Mid Penn Player of The Year and was named to the All-State team.

He decided to attend Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee, the best division 2 basketball school in the country. This year they won 32 straight games, a school record. Luke redshirted this season. He did not see the court. But history tends to rhyme. Luke may be doubted on a team of kids all over 6’6″, but trust me, Luke will get his chance, and he will make the most of it.

Now he is my teammate in life. Sounds cliche, but it’s true. His family is my family and my family is his family. I’m not so sure if anyone else on this earth has taught me more lessons than my brother Luke. Many people will remember him as a great basketball player in this area. Rightfully so; however, there is a huge difference between being successful and being significant. Luke may have won Mid-Penn Player of The Year, but the way he handled himself made him significant. He was the kid who was there for me at the lowest of lows and celebrated with more joy than myself at my highest of highs. That’s fitting because whenever he lost, which wasn’t often, he didn’t make excuses, he just worked. Whenever he won, which was quite often, he did say anything either, he just kept working.

He’s someone that I will never count out no matter what he puts his efforts into.

Luke After Leading His Team to the District Championship