There is a basket.. now what to put in it..

I always find trends so very interesting. Therefore, Data Integration Enables Information Capabilities for the 21st Century by Eric Thoo, Ted Friedman, and Mark Beyer hit the nail on the head as far as trends in data integration. Data integration and collaboration is a big part of any enterprise, therefore honing in on the best data integration tool for the companies’ specific needs is necessary. Two trends that stood out to me the most are:

Momentum Grows for Enterprise-Scale Data Integration Approaches: By the time I left my most recent organization, we had possibly 10+ tools that we needed to use for managing and gathering data. Not only did we have 10+ tools, we had 10+ different processes that needed to be completed in in order to use the tool, magnitude of different troubleshooting issues, etc. Therefore, I am a major fan of minimizing the amount of tools needed and this trend calls for the reduction in the number of tactical data integration tools used. The call for an enterprise standard is necessary. Additionally, this trend calls for scaling data at an enterprise level needs to be able to handle up-to-the-minute real time information. “Organizations will need to equip their data integration capabilities to suit a mix of latencies, while recognizing that real-time activity continues to gain importance” (Thoo, Friedman, & Beyer, 2013). I can relate in that there were times that data latencies caused major stand stills on any given business day which caused reporting to be delayed for clients, requests not being fulfilled, optimizations not being made since the data was not the most up to date, etc.

Enterprises Demand Synergies Between Data Integration and Data Management Initiatives: “Across data management- related efforts, capabilities are needed for diverse data delivery styles, tightened links to data quality tools, and an extended focus toward a model-driven approach that leverages common metadata across a technology portfolio (Thoo, Friedman, & Beyer, 2013). Data integration and data management go hand in hand or at least they should. In terms of a merger or acquisition, combining the data of two companies can be a feat of great magnitude as data is processed differently across different lines of business.

Source:

Thoo, E., Friedman, T., & Beyer, M. A. (2013, March 20). Data Integration Enables Information Capabilities for the 21st Century. Retrieved September 20, 2017, from https://www.gartner.com/doc/2378615/data-integration-enables-information-capabilities