Question 1: New Civic Activities

Since the start of the pandemic, our governments and the CDC have set expectations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. As a society, we are expected to uphold new “civic activities” in order to protect ourselves and those around us, such as wearing masks and social distancing. Unfortunately, there are many who see these activities as hindering our constitutional rights. Also, there is a sort of complication to these new civic activities because each state government and the federal government have placed differing guidelines regarding the prevention of COVID-19.

Even prior to our country’s founding, Americans have upheld a strong sense of independence and freedom. Some people see mask-wearing and social distancing as unnecessary precautions to stop the virus, because of the American commonplace of the right to choose. In a way, these new civic duties can fall under the American right to choose, though this is not necessarily agreed upon by all Americans.

To most Americans, wearing a mask signals courtesy to others. Americans have a commonplace to care for each other (to an extent), and I believe in some ways, the civic activity of wearing a mask is a way to look after one another. By wearing a mask, it shows people that you care about the well-being of others since you are potentially protecting people’s health. Moreover, I’ve seen multiple people in grocery stores call out others for being in public without wearing a mask, saying they are putting themselves and others at risk of contracting the virus. This is also somewhat of a civic duty nowadays.

Social distancing is similar to wearing a mask in that people who practice this are protecting the well-being of others. However, social distancing is more about courtesy, as this was somewhat in place before the pandemic. Americans value their space, at least I do, and a “personal bubble” was ingrained in the minds of most Americans in elementary school. No one likes it when their personal space is invaded, especially during a global pandemic.

Another commonplace Americans practice is wanting to be well informed. This varies between Americans and what their definition of a trusted, valid source is, though most Americans try to access some sort of news. During the pandemic, I think reading the news or obtaining new facts/”facts” about COVID has become a new civic duty, because a lot of us want guidance from authority to tell us the best way to go about the pandemic. It’s important to read some sort of news source to keep us up to date about the precautions and new rules that have been implemented, especially so one does not cause any public scenes.

Once this pandemic starts to wind down, I’m curious to see if new civic activities like wearing a mask will stay in place even after governments say it’s okay to not wear one. I’ve already noticed a downturn in people practicing social distancing in places like grocery stores, so I wonder how much longer civic people will continue to social distance, as well.

Help Us Make Face Masks for Our Community – BetterLifeBags

Mask Cartoon