RSS Feed

May God Save Us From Their Intoxicating Glances ! Part 2

February 21, 2016 by hjz5060   

O God save us from the intoxicated glances! O God save us from the moon-faced ones!
Let any affliction come upon us [but] God save us from the pretty ones.

Above mentioned is the chorus of the Qawwali. The poet is implying here that he has had enough of these glances from his lover and is praying  not to have more of these because they have the power to make anyone go crazy. It is a situation of better safe than sorry. He is  on the verge of accepting any affliction but the affliction directed by these lovable creatures.

Don’t let their innocence fool you; don’t let them make you a fool
they rob with just a smile, O God save us from their spells!

This verse does not need much explaining. It is signifying the deadly covert attacks by the people you love. They take advantage of you just by giving a smile in return, they are not trustworthy at all.

ns

Innocent appearance and innocuous talk, but there is a difference between what they say and what they mean
Though their face is like that of moon, O God save us from the schemes of their hearts!

The profoundness in these two lines almost makes them ineffable to express here. I have to make one thing clear, whenever I make these statements, they are not about the contemporary lovers but are about conventional lovers. These people used to give everything they had for the sake of love. They had to experience a lot of heart ache when their love was one sided, and in many cases they even used to give their lives away in the search of a two sided affair. The poet is saying now that these people talk so sweetly that they cast spells using their lips, of which they themselves are aware. These sweet words are very deceptive which are meant to fool the lover yet again into thinking that this type of love is a two sided affair. When they utter these words, one knows that they are committing artifice but since they are so beautiful, one stops and believes every word they say. Their hearts maneuver such schemes by the use of their innocent faces and sweet words that one is bound to go astray. God please save me from such experiences.

In the hearts there is a desire for beautiful companions in heaven, but they show their love of prayers [to the world].
Now, from the likes of the abstinent, O God save us from these Godly ones!

Moving to a religious perspective now. The poet now says that some people spend so much time praying and being steadfast just to fulfill their lust of having beautiful companions in heaven. These type of people are in a sort of delusion because their ultimate target is not to glorify God, because He is supreme but is to glorify God, because He will award them generously with beautiful companions in heaven. These delusional people try to convince others to do also what they are doing for the greed of these companions. The poet says I don’t want to be a part of their evil scheme and hence God please save me from these “Godly” creatures.

Translation:

http://nusrat.info/mast-nazron-se-allah-bachaye/

Full Qawwali at:

1 Comment »

1. aft5105 says:

I love the meanings of these sounds and they sound like they are truly heartfelt but I am still curious what is the significance of these songs to you? Do you listen to them when you are in a specific mood? Is it your favorite? Does it make you sad or happy or think of a moment in your life? I would love to know your personal thoughts about all these songs!

You must be logged in to post a comment.