WIP- Advocacy Project

I really had a hard time deciding what I was going to do for the advocacy part of this project. I will admit, I am really not comfortable with “advocating” political issues such as mine up front or in person simply because I typically am made uncomfortable by political controversy. However, this does not mean that I do not believe the issue should not be advocated for. So, I think for my advocacy project I will compose some sort of letter or short written appeal that could potentially go to the local state representative in my area. Since this is a state level decision anyway. I feel that this is the most appropriate way to advocate for my cause since the topic itself is of a bit of a serious matter. I just feel like it really does not lend itself to widespread emotional campaigning or rallying. Additionally I do believe that unfortunately it does seem that the majority of weight of these decisions lies with our government officials. So, it just makes more sense to me to use them as my target audience in this project. In the letter I hope to use my research as well as my status as a young voter to establish some sort of ethos.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to WIP- Advocacy Project

1. Caitlin Edinger says:

Yeah, advocating to an audience of college students doesn’t really catalyze change in your topic. This type of issue requires a “moving up” approach. I think you have the right idea.

2. Drew Zucker says:

Very creative idea. I think this type of letter is perfect for what you are trying to do, especially your very understandable discomfort in outwardly discussing political controversies. Good luck with the letter!

3. Ryan Sosnader says:

This is a really good idea. I hadn’t considered writing a letter, and writing one to a state representative would be a great form of advocacy. Good luck!