Cake Pops!

starbucks cake popsSo, going through the Starbucks line, has anyone else noticed the fat chocolate balls neatly placed in cute little carriers? The not-so-lolly pop made of cake? Cake pops have recently taken over the craze that was cupcakes. Seemingly new, this fad really has been years in the making. Though, just recently did I realize it was any good! I will admit I was quite skeptical at the idea of some tiny glorified doughnut hole on a stick covered in some cheap waxy chocolate.  Well, in the case of bad cake pops, this is the case. However I found that when done well a good cake pop can be quite rich and satisfying!

Cake pops in their traditional sense are actually not a spherical cake, but a mixture of make cake popcrumbled cake and icing. This is mixed together and formed by hand into a ball, then frozen and dipped in chocolate or some such like. This idea is really quite a frugal one. Cake decorators developed it as a way to capitalize on week old cake that had gotten a little too stale or dry to sell.  This trend was so successful that somewhere along the line cake bakers realized they could skip the complicated process of chinese cake popmaking a whole cake and just bake large sheet cakes and turn them straight to cake balls!  And as we American’s like to do… they put it on a stuck for easy-on-the-go sugar intake… because we obviously do not get enough sugar while we sit and drive… anyway.  The concept is cute and easy!

Needless to say, this cute and easy treat continues to do well! It has become so popular that there are now companies, stores and bakeries opening up purely for the purpose of making cake pops!  Those in the cake business that see it more as an art than a food have put their own twist on the idea as well! I definitely have been converted…Pac-Man-Cake-Pops cake pops are good. 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Cake Pops!

1. Caitlin Edinger says:

YUM!!!!! I love cake pops! Though they started as just a way to use up extra batter and icing, they have become such an art! Let’s make some.

2. Ryan Sosnader says:

Cake pops look adorable haha. I’ve had them before and I definitely enjoyed them. Whenever I have access to them I always tend to eat too many at once. I guess I’ll have to work on that. Because they’re so small, they’re so easy to just keep eating.

3. Drew Zucker says:

Unfortunately I’ve had the experience of a bad cake pop. But, as you said I am now a huge fan. The story behind these is very interesting and pretty surprising as I too thought this was a recent trend.