Dennis Radar

The BTK Killer

Dennis and his wife, Paula

*Graphic content warning*

Between 1974 and 1991, Dennis Radar pulled off some of the most gruesome and notorious killings in Wichita, Kansas. He was able to murder ten victims (men and women) before his eventual capture. The nickname BTK was coined by Dennis himself, standing for Bind, Torture, and Kill. He was able to do all of this behind the backs of his wife and kids, who never found out about his “hobby” until he was caught thirty years after he started.

Psychological Profile

BTK Art

The interesting thing about Dennis Radar is that he had a very normal childhood. There was no record of any deviant behavior that is usually present in serial killers. However, as he entered adulthood, he began presenting psychological disorders that led him to commit those horrific acts. This only makes sense, since normal people don’t usually go around killing people for sexual pleasure. For example, Radar was so egotistical that he felt the need to communicate with the police in order to satisfy his sexual needs. Part of the whole experience for Radar was taunting the police, knowing he was escaping their suspicion. Additionally, one of the worst things about Radar is his “bondage art” which he began drawing from inside prison. He then mails it out for the public to discover.

The Crimes

The Otero Family

His crimes began in 1974 when he committed a quadruple murder of the Otero family; he murdered the mother, father, and two of their young children. He left the bodies there so that one of their other children would come home to find his murdered family. He left a confession letter inside a book at the public library. After 10 months of no one finding it, he made an anonymous call to the police letting them know about the letter. Later, he murdered two more women in 1977. He methodically stalked his victims, discovering their daily routine before coming into their homes, binding them, torturing them, and then murdering them. He did all of this to indulge in and satisfy his sexual fantasies. He continued killing until 1991, where he then dropped off the map and focused on his “normal” life. He continued to live a somewhat normal life for 13 years, until 2004, which was the thirty year anniversary of the Otero murders.

The Ending

Dennis Radar

At this thirty year anniversary mark, Dennis felt the need to pick back up his communication with the police. He wrote puzzling letters, packages, and more to the police, likely enjoying the mockery that comes with being able to escape their detection. Eventually, he sent them a floppy disk which had information on it that would led authorities right to Dennis Radar. He plead guilty to all ten counts of murder and was given all ten life sentences. He is still serving his sentences and is still alive to this day.

3 thoughts on “Dennis Radar

1. Wow, this guy is such a creep! I was definitely surprised to learn that he had a family and still was capable of committing such horrors. I’m generally a believer that children make you soft, but clearly not in this situation. It’s also super surprising to me that he was able to even be married. Kudos to him for not being discovered for such a long time, but boy did he mess up his family’s life. I’m now wondering what his kids had to endure after he was discovered and if his wife is still married to him. I think that I’d probably run if my husband was discovered doing these things.

2. Not going to lie I’m super tempted to make a pun about him being able to stay under the “Radar.” It’s so strange that he can have a normal life along with his life of killing. It seems like he wanted the attention from the police, considering he called in the first anonymous tip. He probably also like the adrenaline rush of not getting caught. Although in the end, he could’ve gotten away with it, so maybe it was just guilt. It’s also possible that I’ve just watched too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

3. Ugh this guy was so awful to read about. It’s crazy knowing how he was out there for 30 years continuing to cause harm. It makes you realize how careful you have to be everyday. But, again, you made this really easy to follow; you have all your information set up in a way so that it can flow really nicely.