Passionately Loving

“Chirp chirp chirp!”  “Hold still little guy. I am only trying to help you!” I say to the injured baby bird. It had fallen out of its nest, and the mother was nowhere in sight. I was about fourteen years old at the time, and the flowers were just beginning to bloom for the springtime. With an old, grimy pair of work gloves on, I carefully placed the wounded bird into a shoe box with a blanket of paper towels. I looked at the bird, and the bird glared at me with its glossy eyes as I pondered on what to do next. I did not just want to place the creature behind a bush and abandon it; I was determined to help it at all costs. With a bit of research and phone calls to the wildlife rehabilitation center, I was informed that the bird probably had a concussion and broken wing and needed to be kept in a dark room. I quickly ran back outside, grabbed the box with the bird in it, and carried it into my house into my bedroom closet. “Chirp chirp chirp!” “Shhhh no chirping in my house!” I ordered the tiny, winged animal. I decided to call the bird “Jimmy”, and decorated his shoe box with his name written in marker. Jimmy kept quiet that night and I was worried he did not survive. However, when I opened my closet door and peeked into the shoebox, Jimmy’s globelike eyes and pointy beak greeted me with another “Chirp!” Thrilled about Jimmy’s survival, my dad and I drove him to the wildlife rehabilitation center that morning. The workers were very pleased and amused to see my “Jimmy” labeled box and the curious little bird inside of it, alive and loud as ever. I felt so warm and pleased with what I had done on that early spring day. On the car ride back home, I could not help but to feel a bit empty. I craved more. I wanted more. I wanted to feel more love, like I did when I saw that I had helped the bird’s injury. I have found that everything I do and everything I have a passion for fits into the category of loving and serving others, and I plan on living this quality out through my entire life path. “Where do you see yourself in ten years?” “How much money do you want to make?” “What job do you want?” These are all specific questions that I am often bombarded with and cannot answer. Quite frankly, I do not see how any nineteen-year-old could answer these questions about their future. The best way for me to answer questions like this is to simply respond with, “I will do what I love to do.”

I believe that no matter what one’s passion is, they should live life fully enveloped in that passion. Whether it is music, school, sports, or whatever seizes your imagination, what you love the most should take up most of your life. Whether you believe it or not, love is what the world revolves around! Who you love, what you love, and how you express love drives the world towards happiness and success. In the words of English poet Alexander Pope, “The ruling passion, be it what it will. The ruling passion conquers reason still.” The power of money, security, and conformity never outrank the power of one’s true passions. There is a reason people feel so strongly about the things they love, and this intense emotion can emerge from the inside out if they allow it. Passion is the most powerful aspect of life, and for me my passions are my life; my life is my passion. What is yours?

-CH

3 thoughts on “Passionately Loving

1. This story of yours moved me a lot! I remember well when I was a teenager and I was going through a difficult situation… I had just left mcdonalds https://jojorecipes.com/mcdonalds-menu/ sad and then I found a little bird lost in the street… I didn’t think twice and took it to raise it… it developed a lot and I taught him to fly… Then later I had to let nature take over his life… but I did my part to save him…