REAL MADRID.

As an avid fan of football, the one actually played with the feet, I of course have a favorite team. Real Madrid. The team of superstars based in the Spanish capital. A team known for fostering some of the game’s greatest players in history and currently holds some of the world’s best players. The success of the club attracts players to try to join the team and fight for one of the 11 starting spots. My favorite player, Cristiano Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid.

Recently, Real Madrid had their record breaking 39 game unbeaten streak broken by Sevilla in the league thanks to an own goal. As sad as I was about it, I was aware that all good things come to an end. The team managed this impressive feat in the absence of Gareth Bale, the most expensive signing for Real Madrid in their entire history from Tottenham Hotspur for 100 million Euros. Also, the team missed key players like defender Pepe, midfielder Luka Modric, arguably the best in the world, and qulality fullbaks in Marcelo and Dani Carvajal. In my opinon, if these players weren’t injured and were playing, nobody would touch Real Madrid. Zidane, the team’s manager and former player, (the one with the famous headbutt in the world cup) has done a wonderful job in managing and coaching the players over the past year. He has such a difficult job, managing the egos of such talented players in the locker room and making them all play as a collective unit, and not some hot headed ball hogs.

The recent loss in the Spanish cup quarter finals meant that the team can no longer win the treble. That is winning the league in your respective country league, the the league itself, and the Champion’s League, a tournament comprised of the top 4 teams to finish in the league for the previous year. Real Madrid are currently first in the Spanish league ahead of rivals Barcelona, and are through in the 16s in the Champion’s League. They will face Napoli, a relatively easier draw in the 16s, so I am extremely optimistic. However, if Zidane starts Danilo as right back one more time, I will fly to Spain myself and head butt him myself. Back to back awful performances had the team carrying his weight, for any goal the opposition scores, comes from the right side, Danilo’s side. He was even the one to score the own goal that ended up knocking us out of the league tournament. RIP.

Cristiano Ronaldo recently turned 32 on February 5th. Yes he is getting older, and slower, but he is still performing at a level most professionals can only dream of achieving. He adapted his playstyle to fit his decreasing speed and effectiveness on the ball. Don’t get me wrong, he is still incredibly fast. Just not as fast as he used to be. On FIFA, he has over 90 speed ;). He still has the power, heading, and ability to recognize where he needs to be at the right time, which is arguably the best part of his game. He is nicknamed “the dark invader” by a commentator because somehow he always appears in the right place at the right time after losing the man marking him. Truly the #goat.

Excuse my long rant about this soccer team but I am very passionate about Real Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo. I have a giant poster of him in my room and I have yet to miss a game for this season. Even if it means watching in between rounds at a fencing World Cup. Talk about staying focused.

Thanks for reading, if you stuck through with it.

Mohamed.

One thought on “REAL MADRID.”

1. I love soccer. I played competitive soccer for 15 years, but somehow this hasn’t yet related into watching it. I think I just haven’t found a team to throw all my support behind. My mom is obsessed with Zidane because she’s French and I grew up watching and rooting for France in the World Cup and Olympics. I was actually in France in 2006 when they made it to the finals, and lost due to the headbutt, lots of rioting in the streets that day. I really like the way your blog is written; it has humor but also plenty of information for someone who isn’t as avid of a soccer fan as you. On a side note I’m a patriots fan and their really is only one GOAT.