TERF Wars

This post will be in a slightly different direction than previous posts as this is dealing strictly with some of the forms of discrimination individuals in the LGBTQ+ community face. In this post specifically, I will be focused on the current issue of the TERF war which is referencing the derogatory phrase “trans-exclusionary radical feminist”.

What is a TERF?

Transgender individuals have long been discriminated against by society, however, there is a particularly virulent strain of transphobia that has grown in “popularity” since 2008, with the phrase TERF. These TERFS are advocates of radical feminism and believe trans woman’s gender identities are not legitimate. This frequently results in hostile behavior towards trans-identifying and gender-diverse individuals, especially with more inclusive efforts in recent years. The TERF ideology is based on the incorrect idea that sex and gender identity are the same. These TERFs view transgender individuals’ presence in spaces “designated” for cisgender individuals as a threat. The transgender community has been long discriminated against and marginalized, so the increased presence of TERFs has only made it harder for these transgender individuals to be their true selves.

TERFS have been known to harass and attempt to intimidate these trans individuals, both online and in person. There are unfortunately many cases of TERFS physically assaulting trans women trying to enter the women’s bathroom. Trans rights are protected in most places, however far too many counts of this verbal or physical assault go unreported.

TERF Battles - OutSmart Magazine
Source: https://outsmartmag.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/19225741/terf_NEW.jpg

What is an example of a TERF’s behavior?

As previously discussed, these TERFS are known to attempt to intimidate and verbally and physically assault these trans individuals in public spaces. I admittedly had never heard of a TERF before I was scrolling through my TikTok For You Page and stumbled across a very video of this discrimination. This video, linked below, displays the intimidation efforts by these TERFS. I will give a content warning in the event that this discriminatory content will make anyone uncomfortable. This woman is very proud to admit she is a TERF, which is disgusting behavior. Lilly began receiving threats while dining at The Cheesecake Factory in San Francisco. Lilly was recording at this time and happened to get this behavior on video, and shared it to spread awareness of some of the discrimination these trans individuals face.

Content Warning: Transphobia and Verbal Abuse
@lillytino_

A self-identified TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist) threatened me at the @cheesecake factory. I happened to be streaming at the time and caught the encounter on camera. This happened at the Union Square location in San francisco

♬ original sound – lillytino

How can we help combat the TERF ideology?

In order to combat this hateful mindset, it is so crucial to educate oneself and others on the realities of gender identity, in the sense that biological sex does not equal gender identity. It is so important to stand with these trans individuals and provide extra support in the event of a run-in with a TERF. If one witnesses this bigotry in action, speak out against it, protect the transgender individual, and most importantly realize how this discrimination can inhibit their ability to complete daily tasks. This awareness can help foster a community of greater acceptance. Only by working together, we can create a world where all people, regardless of their gender identity, are able to live as their true selves, with both dignity and respect.

TERF Archives | South Seattle Emerald
Source: https://i0.wp.com/southseattleemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2019_07.13_Shutterstock_1449773771_ProtectTransLives_InkDrop.jpg?resize=1038%2C576&ssl=1

Sources Consulted

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/07/19/divide-over-scholarly-debate-over-gender-identity-rages

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/9/5/20840101/terfs-radical-feminists-gender-critical 

One thought on “TERF Wars

1. Hi Leah!

I have never heard of a TERF before and was therefore really interested in readying your blog! I find it very interesting that people who work to protect women’s rights would be so passionate about tearing down the rights of others. I can’t imagine how awful it would feel to have someone treat me like that, so I’m really glad I read your post to expand my awareness of this topic!