Selected publications are listed below by research themes!
A comprehensive listing of publications is available as a pdf: Heather2meZimmerman_Penn_State_CV_May2017 [pdf]
(a) Identity, expertise, and interests related to science
- Zimmerman, H. T., & Weible, J. L. (2017). Learning in and about rural places: Connections and tensions between students’ everyday experiences and environmental quality issues in their community. [PDF] Cultural Studies of Science Education. 12(1), 7–31. DOI: 10.1007/s11422-016-9757-1.
- Zimmerman, H. T., & Bell, P. (2014). Where young people see science: Everyday activities connected to science. International Journal of Science Education. 4(1), 25-53. doi:10.1080/21548455.2012.741271 [Published online in 2012.
- Bell, P., Bricker, L. A., Reeve, S., Zimmerman, H. T., & Tzou, C. (2013). Discovering and supporting successful learning pathways of youth in and out of school: Accounting for the development of everyday expertise across settings. In B. Bevan, P. Bell, R. Steven, & A. Razfar (Eds.), LOST: Learning about Out of School Time Opportunities. Dordrecht: Springer. ISBN 978-94-007-4303-8. Dio: 10.1007/978-94-007-4304-5_9
- Zimmerman, H. T., & Bell, P. (2012). Everyday expertise: Learning within and across formal and informal settings. In S. M. Land & D. Jonassen (Eds.), Theoretical foundations of learning environments (2nd ed., pp. 224-241). New York: Routledge. ISBN: 978-0-415-89422-7.
- Zimmerman, H. T. (2012). Participating in science at home: Recognition work and learning in biology. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. 49(5), 597-630. doi: 10.1002/TEA-21014
- Zimmerman, H.T., Perin, S., & Bell, P. (2010). Parents, science, and interest: A framework to understand the role of parents in the development of youth’s interests. Museum & Social Issues. 5(1), 67-86.
(b) Mobile computing to support personalized, informal learning
- Zimmerman, H. T., Land, S. M., Maggiore, C., Ashely, R. W. & Millet, C. (2016). Designing outdoor learning spaces with iBeacons: Combining place-based learning with the Internet of Learning Things. Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference for the Learning Sciences. (Pp. 942- 945).
- Land, S. M., & Zimmerman, H. T. (2015). Socio-technical dimensions of an outdoor mobile learning environment: A three-phase design-based research investigation. Educational Technology Research & Development. 63(2), 229-255. DOI: 0.1007/s11423-015-9369-6.
- Gamrat, C., Zimmerman, H. T., Dudek, J., & Peck, K. (2014) Personalized workplace learning: A digital badging space for science teacher professional development. British Journal of Educational Technology. Advance online publication. Pp. 1-13. DOI:10.1111/bjet.12200
- Zimmerman, H. T., Gamrat, C., & Hooper, S. (2014). Connecting out-of-school time learning to home: Digital postcards from summer camp. TechTrends. 58(2), 87-92. Download PDF: 2014_Zimm_Gamrat_Hooper_digitalpostcards_camp
- Zimmerman, H. T., & Land, S. M. (2014). Facilitating place-based learning in outdoor informal environments with mobile computers. TechTrends. 58(1), 77-83. Doi 10.1007/s11528-013-0724-3. Download PDF: Zimm_Land_2014_place-based_mobile
- Land, S. M., & Zimmerman, H. T. (2014). Synthesizing perspectives on augmented reality and mobile learning. TechTrends. 58(1), 2-5. Doi: 10.1007/s11528-013-0724-3.
- Zimmerman, H. T., Land, S. M., Seely, B. J., Mohney, M. R, Choi, G. W., & McClain, L. R. (2014). Supporting conceptual understandings outdoors: Findings from the Tree Investigators mobile project. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference for the Learning Sciences. Vol 2, Pp. 1067-1071. Click here to download the PDF: Zimm_Land_etal_ICLS_2014
- Salman, F. H., Zimmerman, H. T., & Land, S. M., (2014). Collective problem solving in a technologically mediated science learning experience: A case study in a garden. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference for the Learning Sciences. Vol. 1, Pp. 378-384. Click here to download the PDF: Salman_Zimm_Land_ICLS_2014
- Zimmerman, H. T., Land, S. M., McClain, L.R., Mohney, M. R., Choi, G-W., & Salman, F. H. (2013). Tree Investigators: Supporting Families and Youth to Coordinate Observations with Scientific Knowledge. International Journal of Science Education. Advance online publication. Doi: 10.1080/21548455.2013.832437. pp. 1-24.
- Land, S. M., Smith, B. K., & Zimmerman, H. T. (2013). Mobile technologies as tools for augmenting observations and reflections in everyday informal environments. In (eds.) J. M. Spector, B.B. Lockee, S.E. Smaldino, & M. Herring. Learning, problem solving and mind tools: Essays in honor of David H. Jonassen. (pp. 214-228). New York: Routledge.
(c) Informal learning for families and youths — including nature centers and science centers
- Zimmerman, H. T., & McClain, L. R. (2016). Family learning outdoors: Guided participation on a nature walk. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 53(6), 919–942. DOI: 10.1002/tea.21254.
- McClain, L. R., & Zimmerman, H. T. (2016). Technology-mediated engagement with nature: Sensory and social engagement with the outdoors supported through an electronic trailguide. International Journal of Science Education. 6(4), 385-399. DOI: 10.1080/21548455.2016.1148827.
- Zimmerman, H. T., & McClain, L. R. (2013). Understanding intergenerational learning in environmental education programs. Studies in Educational Evaluation. Advance online publication. Doi: 10.1016/j.stueduc.2013.09.007. pp. 1-10.
- Zimmerman, H. T., & McClain, L.R. (2013). Intergenerational learning at a nature center: Families using prior experiences and participation frameworks to understand raptors. Environmental Education Research. Advance online publication. Doi: 10.1080/13504622.2013.775219. pp. 1-24.
- Zimmerman, H. T., McClain, L. R., & Crowl, M. (2013). Understanding how families use magnifiers during nature center walks. Research in Science Education. 43:5, 1917-1938. dio:10.1007/s11165-012-9334-x. [Published online in 2012]
- Zimmerman, H. T., Reeve, S., & Bell P. (2010). Family sense-making practices in science center conversations. Science Education. 94 (3), 478-505. doi:10.1002/sce.20374. [Published online in 2009.]
- Zimmerman, H. T., Reeve, S., & Bell P. (2008). Distributed expertise in a science center: Social and intellectual role-taking by families. Journal of Museum Education, 33(2), 143–152.