Sights to See in DC: Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting Pool

Although I am from Maryland and this blog is supposed to be from places at home, I am lucky enough to have Washington, DC right in my backyard. Living about 15 minutes outside of our nation’s capital is something so accessible, but also something I know I take for granted and don’t experience everything the city has to offer as much as I easily could. If you want to go down to city for the day or even just a couple hours all you have to do is hop on the metro and you’re in the heart of the city in no time. That being said, there are still many amazing places that I have been fortunate enough to visit in a city so rich with culture and history. In this particular post I decided it would be best to highlight one of the more well know parts of DC, the Lincoln Memorial which overlooks the reflecting pool with the World War II Memorial at the opposite end.

Located on the West End of the National Mall, the Lincoln Memorial not only holds aesthetic beauty, but also historical and cultural significance. In honor of Abraham Lincoln, this monument is a Greek style temple, inside of which is a  large statue of our 16th president. It also includes inscriptions of his two most famous speeches the Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural Address, two of his most famous works that have had great impacts on our country. This monument then overlooks a reflecting pool with paths on either side that provides beauty in a diverse city. I personally enjoy the view from the steps leading down from the monument to the reflecting pool because it is very calming and peaceful to look at. It is also amazing to realize that on those steps is the very spot the Dr. Martin Luther King gave his “I Have a Dream” speech. What I’m trying to get at is that the Lincoln Memorial holds so much historical significance and importance to the way our country is today.

One half of the World War II Memorial

Not only do I respect and enjoy this particular place from home because of its meaning, but also because it is a beautiful sight. The paths on either side of the pool are a great place to enjoy a weekend walk with family or maybe even a scenic run if you’re feeling adventurous. Also, there is green space on either side of the reflecting pool that can be used for recreation or just a nice place to connect with nature.

On the other end of the reflecting pool stands the World War II Memorial. This particular memorial is obviously to to honor those who served in the war. It contains 56 pillars, one for each state and territory, that circle around a massive fountain in the middle. There is also a wall that has about 4,000 gold stars, each star representing 100 Americans that lost their lives during World War II. This memorial not only completes the other end of the reflecting pool, but it too stands for something important that occurred in our country’s history. I personally admire what it stands for and enjoy is beauty. It is also fun to find your state and take a picture under it!

My friends and I going to Penn State under the Pennsylvania pillar at World War II Memorial.

This particular spot on the West End of the mall in DC is just one small part of all of the amazing things the city has to offer. Whether you are looking to come to these particular memorials for their historical meaning or just something to look at as you are walking around the city I highly encourage taking the time to look at them. They also provide a great place to take pictures before prom and I hope it is someplace you all get a chance to visit sometime. I consider this an important place from home because it reminds me how important all of the things they stand for are to shaping our country into what it is today while creating beauty in a large city.

Lincoln Memorial Picture: https://mackenziebroderick.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/002.jpg

World War II Memorial Picture: http://stephenbrownstudio.com/wp-content/gallery/wwiiwatermarked/wwii07.jpg

3 thoughts on “Sights to See in DC: Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting Pool

1. Hannah,
    I really enjoyed all the history you included in your post. I have only been to DC once when I was little and I want to go back now as an adult. I will keep all these places in mind when I visit and be sure to check out the Pennsylvania Pillar! Washington DC offers so many things to do and wide range of history so I look forward to visiting.

2. Hi Hannah! Hi5 as I’m from the capital of my country too. This not only gives us access to the amazing events that take place in the capital city but also gifts us an opportunity to be in proximity to the history of the making of our countries. I am sure that DC has immense historic significance; probably the most politically important city in America . Your post was very informative and helps me know DC better. Prom pics though!!

3. Hi Hannah! Hi5 as I’m from the capital of my country too. This not only gives us access to the amazing events that take place in the capital city but also gifts us an opportunity to be in proximity to the history of the making of our countries. I am sure that DC has immense historic significance; probably the most politically important city in America . Your post was very informative and helps me know DC better. Prom pics though!!